Heifer sale prices; HELP*

Help Support CattleToday:

Mikaelad033

Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to dairy cattle (I show in 4-H) and I am planning to sell my yearling, ready to be bred, Holstein heifer. I paid 500 for her as a bottle baby. I not sure how much to ask for her. I was thinking asking around 1000$ would be reasonable. She is very sweet, halter broken, and does great in shows. I'm located in the Pacific Northwest of the US. Any help and suggestions are highly appreciated!
Thanks!

~M

$1125 - 1200+ in Minnesota if she is fancy
good quality open holstein heifers from A.I. breeding 750 - 800 lbs x $1.50 lb = $1,125 - 1200

Minnesota
297 Springing hols. heifers sold in late June with the top 250 of the 297 averaging $1950
top $2,300
top 50 averaged $2,100
top 200 averaged $2,000

815 lb open and breedable holstein heifers 1.47 = 1190

In my area of the country, (this is dairy country), she would bring 1000 to 1400. If you are a youth in 4H, and you were to bring her to the dairy sale here, they would let you show her in the ring, and announce that she was your 4H project and a show heifer. Those guys would bid her up bigtime and she would bring possibly 2000 to 2500 just because these local dairy guys like to reward kids that will show dairy heifers and they appreciate it. So you need to take advantage of this possibility and make sure that they know you showed her and your a kid and hopefully they will see the need for helping you out!
I watched one 15 year old girl selling her halter trained, holstein bull she raised on a bottle as her ag project, they bid like crazy way more than he was worth. After all the bidding was over, and they were getting the high bidder's name, he told the auctioneer that he was NOT paying the winning bid of $1200 for the bull, instead he wanted to pay $1400. I thought that was really nice.

Mikaelad033":29lmbugx said:
(I show in 4-H) and I am planning to sell my yearling, ready to be bred, Holstein heifer.... She does great in shows.

4-H can be a great learning experience, but in general 4-H shows are not known as stiff competition.
"Does great in shows" would be standing 1st in class in 2 or more shows...good would be top 1/3 of class.
$500 for a dairy bottle calf is a strong price, so you either bought a very good calf or someone took advantage
of inexperience. Is the farmer you bought her from interested in buying her back?
Who is her sire? Any DHIA records on the dam?
Those are 2 selling points that can influence buyers to pay top money, very sweet and halter broken are nice,
but means little.

What are your plans? Do your parents have other cattle? Do you want to cash out? Do you want to keep showing?
Would you be interested in trading her for 2 bottle calves and cash or maybe 3 bottle calves?
Check with local dairy farmers, most will be impressed by a kid with ambition and a plan and perhaps lend a helping hand.
Don't take rejection personally, it's a business.
As a 4-Her you have an advantage of having your foot in the door, use it.
Kind of like selling Girl Scout cookies...it's tougher to say no to a girl scout or a 4-Her...especially if it's a fair deal.

LauraleesFarm":nptiyu75 said:
In my area of the country, (this is dairy country), she would bring 1000 to 1400. If you are a youth in 4H, and you were to bring her to the dairy sale here, they would let you show her in the ring, and announce that she was your 4H project and a show heifer. Those guys would bid her up bigtime and she would bring possibly 2000 to 2500 just because these local dairy guys like to reward kids that will show dairy heifers and they appreciate it. So you need to take advantage of this possibility and make sure that they know you showed her and your a kid and hopefully they will see the need for helping you out!
I watched one 15 year old girl selling her halter trained, holstein bull she raised on a bottle as her ag project, they bid like crazy way more than he was worth. After all the bidding was over, and they were getting the high bidder's name, he told the auctioneer that he was NOT paying the winning bid of $1200 for the bull, instead he wanted to pay $1400. I thought that was really nice.

Excellent Idea Lauralee :nod:
Though I would not get the kid's hopes up with $2,000 + talk. But a 4-H kid will get top money selling her that way.

P.S. Make sure you write a Thank You note to the sales barn and buyer afterwards, no matter what she brings.
It's never too early to develop a good reputation and both will remember that you took the time to do so.

The county south of us has an annual county fair/festival in October. The kids show beef and dairy cattle as well as pigs, goats, chickens etc.. there are quilting and canning and art contests and a whole ton of other non-ag events.
Anyhoo the cattle from the show are eligible for the sale. They auction off the kids show cattle and companies like the banks, insurance agencies and businesses bid on and purchase the animals. Many times, the buyer gives the animal back to the kid. It is all about rewarding money for these hard working kids who are showing in agriculture. Then the bank gets to brag that they bought the champion steer for several thousand dollars, and so forth. Its not uncommon for these show animals to run into many thousands of dollars. The kid gets some college money, the animal stays with the kid, and the business gets to advertise their role. Win-win.

LauraleesFarm":2waqbrja said:
The county south of us has an annual county fair/festival...

Yes, but Texas isn't an option for this kid.
Like I said "Excellent Idea Lauralee."

IF 4-H in their area had a similar option they wouldn't be asking.
So how to apply it to this situation?
Contact the local sales barn with the heaviest dairy traffic.
They may or may not allow the heifer to be lead into the ring, depending on set up and insurance coverage...
BUT at the very least auctioneer will make a special point to introduce the 4-H owner and the heifer as a show animal.
I have seen it done here and animal always brings a $100-$200 more than it would otherwise bring.
Sales barns love the opportunity to show support of local consignors and advertise that they bring quality animals in for sale.
Dollars to doughnuts, I'll bet if a Thank You Note is received from a 4-Her it will be displayed somewhere within the sales barn.

LauraleesFarm":1v6ic6ue said:
Note....that was a pretty 15 year old girl. A hairy legged, pimple faced boy would do good to get half that much. Just facts. ;-)

Latest posts