Heifer Question

Help Support CattleToday:

SPJ

Reaction score
I have a heifer that is in standing heat. She weighs 746 lbs. and was born on 1/17/12. I want to take her to the vet tomorrow and have her AI'd. We are supposed to be getting some rain tomorrow, so if that happens, I won't be able to move her out of the pasture if it is wet. My old truck can't pull the trailer up the hill and out of the pasture.

So my question is: Would it hurt to load her about 10 pm, move her out of the pasture and leave her in the trailer over night? The temperature tonight is going to be about 45 degrees and yes she will have water and hay in the trailer with her. Thanks in advance, Phil

I'd haul her in and have her bred today and turn her back out if it was me.
As far as holding her in the trailer overnight it shouldn't hurt conception much but that's alot of stress on her.

cow pollinater":w6agm7ag said:
I'd haul her in and have her bred today and turn her back out if it was me.
As far as holding her in the trailer overnight it shouldn't hurt conception much but that's alot of stress on her.
+1.

I don;t like the trailer ovrnight idea. AI her tonight and give her a shot of GnRH

Thanks guys for your input. Looks like the rain is going to be a little bit to the south of us, so I have her in a pen tonight and will take her in the morning. I was surprised to hear ya'll say to take her in today and have her AI'd. I thought if you saw them in standing heat in the morning that you AI her that evening; if she is in standing heat in the evening than you AI her in the morning. So you guys are saying that as long as she is in standing heat you can take her in right then. Thanks, Phil

SPJRanch":1jk5lpxl said:
Thanks guys for your input. Looks like the rain is going to be a little bit to the south of us, so I have her in a pen tonight and will take her in the morning. I was surprised to hear ya'll say to take her in today and have her AI'd. I thought if you saw them in standing heat in the morning that you AI her that evening; if she is in standing heat in the evening than you AI her in the morning. So you guys are saying that as long as she is in standing heat you can take her in right then. Thanks, Phil
That's the reason why you give the GnRH when you AI, speeds up the ovulation.