"heifer puts her head up" what does that mean?

Help Support CattleToday:

Generally, if they are "too" "perky", they are high strung, nervous, potential explosion waiting to happen. They can disrupt your whole herd. Some are just inquisitive. You can tell the difference!!!!

Agree with Jeanne. They are called "high headed". Bad trait because most buyers see it right off the bat.

I basically agree, but what are you doing when she puts her head up? Have you just gotten them(her) into a catch pen? Are you using a dog that she is unfamiliar with? We have several cows that LITERALLY HATE Dogs, and their calves have learned from them. They will run a dog down like it is going to eat them or their calves. Great protection for coyote problems and I don't discriminate for that. But if you are just going out in the pasture and up comes her head and watches your every move, or she comes in a pen and the head is up looking for a way out.... time to be someone elses problem. Jeanne is right... they will get a whole group to want to run out the gate, and keep them on high alert.

callmefence":11rae6jc said:
She's full.

Better answer than several above

Andy, this is the one that was High Headed! Fire Sweep saw her. When a stranger would come around, her head would go up like a rocket on 4th of July. Any step toward her, and off she went.

Her Sire is Uno Mas. Seems to be a string of these out of him. I sold a bull to a guy in Tennessee. He saw her when he came to get the bull. Loved her markings. I firmly told him she was "high headed". He stepped toward her and off she went. He still persisted. I sold her at a discount.

She had a calf about 2 months ago. They love her and he said she settled in but still does not like strangers. I am going to stick with the "High Headed" concept.
24vtbt4.jpg

Bright Raven":2f4dmm3g said:
callmefence":2f4dmm3g said:
She's full.

Andy, this is the one that was High Headed! Fire Sweep saw her. When a stranger would come around, her head would go up like a rocket on 4th of July. Any step toward her, and off she went.

Her Sire is Uno Mas. Seems to be a string of these out of him. I sold a bull to a guy in Tennessee. He saw her when he came to get the bull. Loved her markings. I firmly told him she was "high headed". He stepped toward her and off she went. He still persisted. I sold her at a discount.

She had a calf about 2 months ago. They love her and he said she settled in but still does not like strangers. I am going to stick with the "High Headed" concept.
24vtbt4.jpg
Looks to me like she's positively glaring at you. Nope, buh-buy! Glad they're happy with her but kudos to you/your honesty for selling her at a discount.

TCRanch":3tzxnd9y said:
Bright Raven":3tzxnd9y said:
callmefence":3tzxnd9y said:
She's full.

24vtbt4.jpg
Looks to me like she's positively glaring at you. Nope, buh-buy! Glad they're happy with her but kudos to you/your honesty for selling her at a discount.

Ask Fire Sweep what she did the day she was here. Kris insisted that I halter her and she said she could handle her. I warned her. I got the halter on her and led her toward Kris. When she got within 40 feet, she threw a fit. Sometimes you have to show someone!

Bright Raven":2suia508 said:
TCRanch":2suia508 said:
Bright Raven":2suia508 said:

24vtbt4.jpg

Ask Fire Sweep what she did the day she was here. Kris insisted that I halter her and she said she could handle her. I warned her. I got the halter on her and led her toward Kris. When she got within 40 feet, she threw a fit. Sometimes you have to show someone!
a real outlaw it sounds like......raven I don't consider a cow being a little high headed to be genitically inferior. I meen I don't want it to be like a dam deer, but just because shes alert and dosent want to be combed and haltered is of no concen to me. when you get down to it...id say its more dangerous to have a herd that wants to sit in your lap . I would prefer them give me a little space. they don't have tobe silly to hurt you and rember. if one of your girls slings her head at fly while your hugging her neck...and catches you in the temple with her topknot. you fall in green grass they just graze around your lifeless body like you never existed. like brute said its not always a bad thing. it can be a signof a healthy , smart and high vigor cow. they almost always have and raise good calves. you just probably wont get to watch. I know you and firesweep cater to a different crowd. but in all honesty in the beef industry as a whole. you are the ones on the fringes............my apologies for spelling and puncation. horrible even for me. I cant get along with this new machine.lol

callmefence":10wh98k9 said:
Bright Raven":10wh98k9 said:
a real outlaw it sounds like......raven I don't consider a cow being a little high headed to be genitically inferior. I meen I don't want it to be like a dam deer, but just because shes alert and dosent want to be combed and haltered is of no concen to me. when you get down to it...id say its more dangerous to have a herd that wants to sit in your lap . I would prefer them give me a little space. they don't have tobe silly to hurt you and rember. if one of your girls slings her head at fly while your hugging her neck...and catches you in the temple with her topknot. you fall in green grass they just graze around your lifeless body like you never existed. like brute said its not always a bad thing. it can be a signof a healthy , smart and high vigor cow. they almost always have and raise good calves. you just probably wont get to watch. I know you and firesweep cater to a different crowd. but in all honesty in the beef industry as a whole. you are the ones on the fringes............my apologies for spelling and puncation. horrible even for me. I cant get along with this new machine.lol

I agree 100%. This heifer would not fit for the folks who show cattle but Max doesn't need that and most producers don't.

Regarding getting hurt. I have come closer to having a cow pushed over me by another cow than anything else.

Cattle have a very unique place in human culture. Having been to Africa and always being fond of cattle, I noticed how close people there are to their cattle. In Asia and the middle East, I think the relationship that cattle have with man reaches its ultimate. The relationship there is like dogs are in US society. Those people love their cattle.

Brute 23":1kiumuue said:
She aint that bad if you put a halter on her.
yep. High head, turn and go, maybe glare back once as they move off at that saucy 'screw u' trot?

The good thing about 'em is they're usually pretty good mommas & you usually can't get close enough to them for them to hurt you. Bad thing is they're usually pretty good mommas, often pass the high head trait down to daughters, you can't get close enough to them to get hurt and when they take off, they take 1/2 the rest of the group with them...

greybeard":213s8mrz said:
Brute 23":213s8mrz said:
yep. High head, turn and go, maybe glare back once as they move off at that saucy 'screw u' trot?

The good thing about 'em is they're usually pretty good mommas & you usually can't get close enough to them for them to hurt you. Bad thing is they're usually pretty good mommas, often pass the high head trait down to daughters, you can't get close enough to them to get hurt and when they take off, they take 1/2 the rest of the group with them...

I agree. A good majority of are cattle will not come to strangers. They will get high headed and snorty. I consider that a good thing. They know me and that's all that matters in my book.

Brute 23":bpi6fczr said:
greybeard":bpi6fczr said:
Brute 23":bpi6fczr said:

I agree. A good majority of are cattle will not come to strangers. They will get high headed and snorty. I consider that a good thing. They know me and that's all that matters in my book.

Exactly
Mine will follow the truck just fine. So I can catch them. You just have to leave the trailer down the road. You know what I mean.... their not wild, their smart.

"They know me and that's all that matters in my book."

Kinda like the old dog adage.. If you think you're in charge, try ordering another man's dog around...

greybeard":ockpnek3 said:
"They know me and that's all that matters in my book."

Kinda like the old dog adage.. If you think you're in charge, try ordering another man's dog around...

I don't even try ordering her around. Lol
ofx2fc.jpg

Latest posts