Heifer pushed out

Help Support CattleToday:

Ojp6

Reaction score
Had a heifer calve today. Got a nice baldy calf out of her but she pushed everything out. Had the vet out and he put a stitch in her but now she's struggling. She can barely stand but luckily the calf got some colostrum out of her. Fed the calf some colostrum too but I sold him to someone for 600 since I don't need a bottle calf. Bad news is I don't think the heifer is gonna make it to morning. I guess you win some and you lose some though. At least there was a live baby so we could salvage something.

I hadn't seen her ofcourse, but she stands a good chance. Especially if she's standing. Are you able to give an IV?

The vet did that when he was out but she will pretty much only get up when she's trying to push back out and she usually falls back down after a minute.

Sorry about your heifer. I hope she will make it. That was good that you could sell the calf.

It is fairly common for heifers to bleed to death internally after having a uterine prolapse. Did she do a lot of running or bucking before it was replaced? Odds are probably against her, that's just how a certain number of them end up. Could of considered banding it off rather then replacing it if she was in bad shape when the vet came, but it's too late now.

So sorry, i hate when that happens... We pulled a calf in the chute and when the calf was out i was tending to the calf. Meanwhile, the cow kind of sat down and when she did, her uterus came out onto me. I've been traumatized since and any time we pull a calf in the chute, we make darn sure they dont try to sit after the calf is out...Our cow survived even after standing at the vets for hours before he could get to her. She then got a raging infection that lasted weeks.. She finally recovered but it took months and when we sold her we got 1200 for her.. So, it was good we didnt give up..

Got to sit through a sale today. Bottle calves went for around 400 to 450. So you did good there. Good luck with the hiefer

Heifer didn't make it through the day today. She actually pushed it out laying down and never got up until after she was sewed but she was acting weak even the day before she calved and she just never got past it. I was thankful to get what we did out of the calf though. It could be worse, out of 17 heifers so far we have pulled one and lost this heifer but the rest have been born without an issue.

It's going to happen once in a while. Biggest factor is time. Get them back in within half hour after they come out and the success is much better. Near impossible to put one back in after couple hours.

Sorry. Always rough to lose one. Sounds like you did all a person could do.

Ojp6":2dv2zl3w said:
Heifer didn't make it through the day today. She actually pushed it out laying down and never got up until after she was sewed but she was acting weak even the day before she calved and she just never got past it. I was thankful to get what we did out of the calf though. It could be worse, out of 17 heifers so far we have pulled one and lost this heifer but the rest have been born without an issue.

It certainly gives you an empty feeling. I knew something was amiss when I checked mine this morning. Sure enough, found what I considered to be my best heifer with a bull calf half way out. Both dead. If I had been there during the night could have probably made it work.

highgrit":1nnaxzez said:
Fitz, that stinks.

Yep Sir, sure does. I had posted on here several days ago on Ojp6's misfortune. I guess it didn't go thru or I was posting the same time as someone else. Anyway, I don't see the post.
It doesn't make it any easier Ojp6, but an old neighbor of mine who pasted away this year used to tell me, those that have can lose and those that don't, won't.

fitz":3v85jodi said:
Yep Sir, sure does. I had posted on here several days ago on Ojp6's misfortune. I guess it didn't go thru or I was posting the same time as someone else. Anyway, I don't see the post.
It doesn't make it any easier Ojp6, but an old neighbor of mine who pasted away this year used to tell me, those that have can lose and those that don't, won't.

Yeah I guess if you have any around sooner or later your going to have a problem. I guess if there was ever a year when we could afford to have a problem it was this year when calf prices have been so good.