Heifer Pics

Help Support CattleToday:

farmgrl09

Reaction score
What do you think of this Heifer. She's a Feb. Angus. Now tell me what you REALLY think of her. :cboy:

Cute outfit :D
My advice........... get rid of the blue rubber cloggs when your working your cattle. My sugestion, steel toe boots :shock:
Now that I am out of mommy mode........ She has a weak topline and needs more bone and a better coat would be a plus. Do you have rear and front view's of her? she has a fair neckline and seams clean up front.
All in all a good starter heifer and it looks like you take a lot of pride in your project. Keep up the good work you should do just fine with her.

I agree with the above post. She looks in good condition. Did you shave her or has she lost all her hair? If you did clip her, make sure you never clip out the ear hair.

Yes I did shave her but i didn't clip the ear hair...she just doesnt have a lot of hair anyway. Is there anything that I can to phisically to improve her?? Im a little new at the show stuff.

As far as things you can do...
1. Dont let her get fat, she seems to be just about right at this time.
2. If she is not bred, get er done.
3. Start sweating her neck. It may be a bit late in the game but it can not hurt her.
4. As she starts to grow hair next fall.
a. peel her shoulders pretty tight. Not all the way to the skin please.....
b. make sure buzz clip her brisquit and under her front legs.
c. as you clip her topline peel the top of her shoulder as you blend it into the topline.
She is going to look a liitle to "cowy" if you dont keep her clean and refined up front)
5. Keep brushing the hair on those legs. Even i show at no fit shows, good brushing will help the leg hair pop and give her the look of having a bit more bone.
Most of all enjoy all the new friends youll be meeting and dont be embarrased to ask questions.
OK thats my 1/2 cents worth. :tiphat:

What state are you in? Have you joined your State Junior Angus Assn yet?

If your going to show her in the next few months, a cooler barn would be helpful. The barn beside her with a turbo fan and a swamp cooler might get you a 1/4 inch of fuzz. You can only try, and then the rest is up to what God gave her.
When you breed her make sure the bull throws great coats. In the show ring to be up there for the running, a show coat is a must :( . At least it is in this area, no coat..............no ribbon :shock: In some areas it's not like that, find out what your show area calls for. She can be a good foundation heifer for you if bred to a sound bull.
About the shaving, did you do a total body shaving or did you rough her out.....top line, head, brisket, tail head and belly?
If she doesnt have a good summer coat then maybe early spring, fall and winter shows is where your focus will be.
When you go to breed her, there are a lot of people on this cattle forum that can point you into the proper direction.
About the neck and a sweat band...........The last month before your fair should be plenty of time to trim that area down. She would have to have it on all day and take it off at night when you feed.
Also take Avalon's advice about the leggs. a rice root brush to thoese leggs at least twice daily, remember you can work like heck on the leggs but if she wasnt meant to have legg hair......it wont happen, but at least try.
Most of all be proud of her......... your in the right direction and you have youth to your advantage. She may not be your champion...........you never know, but her offspring could be. Keep working her every day because that will show big time in the ring, like it did in your photo.
Good luck at your fair and keep us posted on her wins, it looks like you have a bright future ahead of ya 8) .

Good luck

All the advice you have already been given is great. One more thing: she does tend to dip in the back, so when you stand her up in the show ring do two things:
1. avoid stretching her out - the easiest way to do this is to set up her back feet square, then set her front feet square but when you do the front feet imagine your showstick (or actually use it) propped up against her shoulder blade, where the point touches the ground is where her feet should be. Any further forward than that, she is too stretched out.
2. more important - when you stand her up, give her a scratch under the belly then using the hook on the end of your show stick, hook it around her navel, and firmly but gently give a tug. This will make her straighten her back. You may have to do it again after a little while to remind her.

Good luck with her!

Thank you all so much for you your replies!! I was a little dissapointed in her because I thought I had a winner in this year but you all have really motivated me to keep working with her and give it all I got. Thanks again! :)

If ther is one good advice I could give every young adult on this board it would be...........................never, never, never give up.
You can take an o.k. animal and make it a winner. With hope, hard work and determination, everything is possable. This is a great time in your life, learn all you can with her. Listen very closly to what the judge has to say, watch other exibitors don't just show your animal and walk away. I learned more about raising animals by watching every class, taking what I wanted and tossing the rest.
It makes my heart swell with joy to know we were able to change your mind. Have fun with her and the biggest step you took was being able to take our opinions, not get upset, and decide to work even harder to make her the best she can be.
Win loose or draw you can be proud that she is the best she could be and only you could make her what she is. Just think, if she is this good ..........her calf will be that much better :D It's a wonderful goal and what great fun it will be to show your very own bred calf. Not to many people in 4-H can say that :D
Go get um girl and remember in the show ring, you belong in first place. Show that judge that your heifer is #1. If he can't see it, well...................maybe the next judge will.
Have fun and good luck :cboy:

I notice you have no show stick in your hand ( If it walked into that set up then you will be Ok ) I agree with above keep in mind it is a nice calf long and deep top line lacking a little and a little steep in the front shoulder ( How is the stride when walking ?) Is she smooth or choppy when walking ?

Keren":3dy9f5eu said:
All the advice you have already been given is great. One more thing: she does tend to dip in the back, so when you stand her up in the show ring do two things:
1. avoid stretching her out - the easiest way to do this is to set up her back feet square, then set her front feet square but when you do the front feet imagine your showstick (or actually use it) propped up against her shoulder blade, where the point touches the ground is where her feet should be. Any further forward than that, she is too stretched out.
2. more important - when you stand her up, give her a scratch under the belly then using the hook on the end of your show stick, hook it around her navel, and firmly but gently give a tug. This will make her straighten her back. You may have to do it again after a little while to remind her.

Good luck with her!

Best advice so far!

She's a decent heifer, little light boned, slightly straight in the hind legs, slightly wastey upfront. The rest can be corrected through correct set-up, she'll make a very handy cow one day.

Latest posts