Heifer performance plateau

Help Support CattleToday:

Not sure I understand your question. I notice heifers have growth spurts. And you might be right. In that 700 to 800 range they sometimes seem to hit a slow growth period.

Bright Raven":2ixb3xjg said:
Not sure I understand your question. I notice heifers have growth spurts. And you might be right. In that 700 to 800 range they sometimes seem to hit a slow growth period.
That's what I was meaning to say

Yes, they all seem to take spurts. Couldn't say it coincides with a certain weight/age.

Ours slow down over winter when on hay but pick right up as soon as the grass starts to green

I only find it is relative to the season ie winter. What I do notice is that as soon as they fall pregnant sometimes within 1-2 wks of insemination they bloom, you just look at them and know they are pregnant. I am sure you would notice that Ron (Bright Raven).

Ken

wbvs58":1nglrg3c said:
I only find it is relative to the season ie winter. What I do notice is that as soon as they fall pregnant sometimes within 1-2 wks of insemination they bloom, you just look at them and know they are pregnant. I am sure you would notice that Ron (Bright Raven).

Ken
I've found some of mine to be the opposite.. they quit growing as soon as they're bred.. I have a couple where it was really pronounced, they looked good at weaning, nice and big, looked good at turnout, then they stopped growing frame and got wider.. 4 years old now and I have yearling heifers taller than they are

wbvs58":37ylc22k said:

Ken

Yes sir. Good way to put it. They seem to get the "glow".

Bright Raven":2tn96fw5 said:
wbvs58":2tn96fw5 said:

Ken

Yes sir. Good way to put it. They seem to get the "glow".

I agree. :nod:

Latest posts