heifer passed away

Help Support CattleToday:

showstick09

Reaction score
I had a 22 month old heifer that was 6 months bred pass away yesterday. We don't know exactly why, and didn't get her autopsied. A vet in my town told me it wouldn't be worth it. I was wondering if any of you had any idea on what it could of been. She had been to the vet Friday and Saturday and was on all kinds of medicene and being rinsed off at least 3 to 4 times a day to keep her cool. The symptoms that she had, were: breathing with her mouth open and tounge hanging out, low-hoarse coughing, very bad breath, uncontrolable urine and poop, high fever (105 and 106), and labor breathing. If I think of anything else I will add it later. Her eating and drinking habits, however, were normal. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thanks.

I can't imagine you or your vet thinking it would not be worth it to post this animal. It doesn't cost that much to get a necropsy done and then you would know.

Sounds like you need a new vet.

Most vets I know that cant tell you what happened to the animal will cut them open for free as they are curious as well. I would say ask him to cut her open and if he doesnt find a new Vet, this ones pretty simple. IMO

How long was she sick?
Get a new vet.
I would get a post mortem exam immediately.
Had something simular last year. Turned out to be pasteurella bacteria. Lost 15 head. Killed ours quickly.

Quick death in a previously healthy animal warrants a necropsy for sure, especially one that young and pregnant.

GMN

We lost 4 head about 5 yrs ago. After the vet couldn't figure it out he ran some test. Ended up being poisoning from Lantana. We had an old town site on the property with alot of Lantana ( flower ). Lantana should be dorment now must be something else. Have her checked out you need to learn before you lose more.

Good luck

:( Could have been hardware disease ( wire has punctured intestine or diaphram, cow gets
septic-- pertonitis and or pneumonia and expires) I had one do that, saved her with IV
antibiotics, fluids. She is a 2 year old x show heifer. She looks ok now ( 6 months after).
You could see the wire on the xray. She has a magnet in her now. I would post any odd
young death. :(

Latest posts