heifer nursing on heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

FLJoe":3c32iw2e said:
In 5 years of raising our hobby herd, this is a new one on me. We have 16 mos Beefmaster heifer (which I am assuming is bred as she has been exposed to our bull) nursing on an older heifer who is bred as well. The older heifer has no bag and is not due until next Spring. Anyone have any thoughts on this wierd behavior?

It's the brammer influence that I have problems with wanting to get a free meal. I haven't had good luck at breaking them.
After a long talk with myself years ago I could not come up a good reason to keep those genetics in the herd. Stealing is a certain ride to the salebarn here.

Ship her. Not worth the hassle.

She will continue to be a problem.

Lots of gimmicks to help you - those gimmicks have to come off some day. You always going to be around? Unless you stand in the field 24 hours a day the answer is no.

Get rid of this animal - does not matter how nice it is - it is a trouble maker.

Hobby herd or not, you got a problem that is easy to solve. Use the bucks for a replacement.

Added bonus: New genetics in the herd.

Put her in the trailer today.

Bez'

Milkmaid, I think it would take at least a week or two to get a dry heifer stimulated into production.
I don't know how long it took, but I have seen it at another farm. I checked the udder of an open heifer & it definately had milk. They had to treat her with "Tomorrow" to save her udder. Never heard how she made out as a milking "cow".

I've also seen a cow suck herself. She laid down & sucked! It was quite a site - a site I wanted to get the gun & shoot her. Shipped her butt real quick. She was one we had to put a "weaner" on as an open heifer.
I learned - they can ALWAYS be a problem.

Latest posts