heifer nursing on heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

FLJoe

Reaction score
In 5 years of raising our hobby herd, this is a new one on me. We have 16 mos Beefmaster heifer (which I am assuming is bred as she has been exposed to our bull) nursing on an older heifer who is bred as well. The older heifer has no bag and is not due until next Spring. Anyone have any thoughts on this wierd behavior?

FLJoe":2hej5jdn said:
ok..why if you do not mind me asking?

If she's started it agina and has someone that will allow it you'll never break her of it. That can lead to poor doing calves from the ones that she sucks, and although I;ve never seen it personally, mastitis in the suckee.

dun

Because the one sucking will nurse on any cow that will let her and will starve the calf (when they have one).

If you insist on keeping the heifer, there are some nose "thingys". It goes on the nose and if/when they try to nurse it pokes the one they are trying to nurse on and they kick. Works quite well for me.

nose blabbs do not work.some cows will let her suck an bloody their baggs.an she can learn to suck herself.its best just to shipp her.

well in that instance then yes I would ship.... you've got a problem on your hands either way.... I had the nose blabb put on a limo bull because I did not want to cut him as he's a nice registered bull and he's left the cows alone so maybe I'm just fortunate/blessed that it has worked for me.

We've used those things in the nose successfully-they have nails in them that stick the cow being nursed and she kicks the living sh*t out of the nursing heifer. I can't remmeber what they are called but if you like the heifer I would give it a try.

We've used them several times..we call em "no sucks" that's what they are called on the bag they come in. ours doesn't have nails..more like a triangle shaped peice cut out and bent out in the direction that it will poke the bag of the one being sucked. they are made out of aluminum and have a wing nut that tightens the part that goes in the nose. which has a bright orange plastic ball on it to avoid piercing the cows nose. We had one that was a lil hard headed and woudlnt quite sucking so we left hers in a lil longer than the others....when we went to take it out the ball on one side was completely imbedded into her nose skin. Ouch when we pulled it out.

Interesting - every one of my Brangus heifers did the same thing at about the same time. But when they bagged up, they set to kicking anything attempting to nurse and they are all the best momma cows. None of the ones sucking dry bags went back to nursing nor will they allow anything other than their calf to nurse. :roll:

If it is stealing milk from the other heifers it will get the colostrum that is needed by the newborn. Ship her. There are to many nice replacements out there. No need to put up with a headache.

FlJoe,
Bama is correct ....but, if this is a heifer you wish to keep...try a weaning halter. It will work a big % of the time. If not try seperating her for a while with some experienced cows. Would be interesting to take the one out that she is sucking and see if she trys the same thing on an experienced cow. She will get kicked a few times and it will hurt. May teach her a lesson that the grass and grain is a better approach. You can always ship her if nothing works.

I remember those "no suck" things from when I was a kid and we used them on calves,worked pretty well.I had the same thing happen and tried one,the calf lost it within a week.I never have found it again ;-) :cboy:

that was 1 smart calf.wich means if a calf really wants it off.it wont stop till its off.scott

When a heifer/steer/bull, re-starts sucking, they can be VERY creative on getting a suck here or there.
The female that she is sucking can be brought into milk by the stimulation of sucking. That will/can ruin the "sucked" female. It #1 can cause mastitis - #2 will eliminate any colostrom being produced for the newborn.
If you are really wanting to keep the heifer, try the weaners on the nose plus put her with mature cows.
But, when it comes time that you remove the weaner - or - she loses it - will you know if she is "cheating"????
Not much worse than having a healthy newborn go downhill because Mom doesn't have the colostrom so desperately needed.
Remember, she can suck a bag dry in seconds.

We've had em loose them after a few weeks too. And as for finding them. I usually wind up finding them somewhere around where the round bales were put out in the winter.
hehe reminds me, a friend of mine came down to visit from idaho and we were out ridin the pasture. He noticed one layin in some old hay. He stopped and picked it up, had never heard of a "no suck"...it was bent and had dirt all over it..he asked if he could take it home.. as a conversation peice. Of course I let him.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":17wps3uo said:
The female that she is sucking can be brought into milk by the stimulation of sucking.

Any idea how long it would take? days? weeks? :?: