Heifer not recognizing calf

Help Support CattleToday:

WoodBoy

Reaction score
I have a heifer that just calved 2 days ago. She cleaned the calf up well and milked. I noticed the calf trying to suck on other heifers yesterday and the mother seems to be always looking for it smelling other calves and hollering but doesnt recognize her own calf now. Im fixing to try and pen them together. Any additional ideas after penning? Thanks

Sometimes everyone "wants to help" and the new momma gets upset and the calf gets confused. If she is alright with it in the pen, just keep them there for a day or two until they get each others smell imprinted, and the calf is nursing well.

Put vanilla extract in/on cow's nostrils and on calf's back.

Tie a dog outside to the pen in full sight of the cow.

One, both or none.

She is fine with the calf in the pen and he is now trying hard to suck her but when it tries to suck she will throw her foot up and block it even while she is eating grain. I put her in the chute yesterday morning and this morning and let the calf suck and she was fine with it. Gonna keep watching her. I think the main problem is this was a load of heifers and they were unloaded at 3 am and before i got back around there at 8 am she had done had it in the pen with the others before i turned them out on pasture.

I agree that she is more confused and all, with a move then a new baby and "what the he// is going on" ...and she is probably sore, the teats will be tight and the skin is tender....if the calf gets on her a few times and relieves the pressure and all she should get it figured out. Hope it works out okay...

Thanks. I'm gonna try her a few more days. She doesn't mind when she is in the chute and he is sucking but she really doesn't like it when he hits her bag for more milk.

WoodBoy":6tcnm97i said:
She is fine with the calf in the pen and he is now trying hard to suck her but when it tries to suck she will throw her foot up and block it even while she is eating grain. I put her in the chute yesterday morning and this morning and let the calf suck and she was fine with it. Gonna keep watching her. I think the main problem is this was a load of heifers and they were unloaded at 3 am and before i got back around there at 8 am she had done had it in the pen with the others before i turned them out on pasture.

I went through the same deal last week. Put here in the shoot and let the calf feed twice a day. You might even have to hobble the heifer but she'll figure it out.

Ebenezer":351ivu4s said:
Put vanilla extract in/on cow's nostrils and on calf's back.

Tie a dog outside to the pen in full sight of the cow.

One, both or none.
We used to put VIX baby rub in the cows nose and on the baby's back. She would claim her pretty quick.

How are you making out?
If she still won't take him we used to run them in the chute and Inject her with some dope. Then we would use some lube and a bit of stock salt and rub it into the vagina. It would make a nice slim that we would then rub on the calf. We would give the cow enough dope that they would be pretty groggy. You also need the calf pretty hungry that way he will maul her a bit when you let her out. Since she's groggy she usually can't get her feet off the ground to kick or block him. When the drugs wear off the majority of the time they will take the calf. If not we just have it another go and that usually did the trick.
Worked great for grafting calves onto a new cow also.

She still will kick up to block it when they are in the pen. Still having to put her in the squeeze chute but not restraining head and she stands and lets the calf suck with no problems, even turns her head to watch it the whole time. I dont think she is giving much milk now as the calf still seems pretty hungry after sucking for 15 min.

Put a pair of hobbles on her. We had a new heifer calf, do the same thing. I got tired of running her in the chute, and devised some hobbles from nylon dog collars and a chain, just long enough that she can take a small step, but not long enough for her to lift her foot more than a few inches. Worked like a charm, and after about 4 days she stopped trying to kick the calf off. Her hobbles came off and she never did it again

Put some makeshift hobble on this morning and they worked great. Gonna leave them on a while and keep watching her

Hope the hobbles work, a couple of days and hopefully she will be over it. The calf will suck more often and get her production up a little too while taking the pressure off from only getting sucked twice a day.

Fire Sweep Ranch":1nf9zmg7 said:
Put a pair of hobbles on her. We had a new heifer calf, do the same thing. I got tired of running her in the chute, and devised some hobbles from nylon dog collars and a chain, just long enough that she can take a small step, but not long enough for her to lift her foot more than a few inches. Worked like a charm, and after about 4 days she stopped trying to kick the calf off. Her hobbles came off and she never did it again

Yep if putting them in a pen don't work I move to a chute if that don't work hobbles need to come out. Lucky I've never made it past a day and half in the chute.

Latest posts