heifer not giving enough milk?

Help Support CattleToday:

carla

Reaction score
My first calf heifer calved yesterday. She is stomping around a lot and not letting the calf suck very much. Think her bag might be sore? I'm going to get her up this afternoon to check her. What should I look for? She has took the calf just fine so I know thats not the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

The simplist methid if you can restrain the cow is to pass a rope, clotheline to about 1/2 in in diameter will work, around the co. Over her back and under her belly just forward of the udder. inch it up TIGHT, that will allow he rto move around but she won't kick (normally). Ease the calf under till it finds a teat. Try to get it to nurse eat teat enough to relieve the pressure. When the cal has nursed some, release the rope. You may have to do it a couple of times. I've never seen it take more then once, but with cows there are no for certains.

dun

carla":1vey9j3x said:
My first calf heifer calved yesterday. She is stomping around a lot and not letting the calf suck very much. Think her bag might be sore? I'm going to get her up this afternoon to check her. What should I look for? She has took the calf just fine so I know thats not the problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Latest posts