heifer lost calf do I cull?

Help Support CattleToday:

George Monk

Reaction score
We had a heifer that lost its calf during calving because one leg was back. After I pushed the head back I was able to grab the elbow and get the leg forward. The calf nearly shot out. The heifer was up and feeding within an hour and is doing well.
My question is because she has lost her calf is she a candidate for culling? Was this just one of those dumb luck instances that shouldn't count against her?
I am very confident she would have easily calved had the leg been forward. Do you see a reoccurance of this problem?
thanks
George

Just depends on whether you want to spend the capital to feed her another year, or take your losses and run.

Not likely to happen next time.

If she has the potential to add more to your herd than a similarly priced bought cow, just keep her. It will be several calves before she turns you a profit but it's already done and thre's no changin it.

If the heifer was worth keeping as a replacement, she's probably worth keeping another year even if she lost her calf this year due to the circumstances you state.

Here's an idea to have her earn her keep this year:
If you have an older cow that you planned to cull after weaning then consider taking the calf from the older cow and grafting on the heifer now. Dry up and sell the older cow now. That way you're feeding one less mouth during the summer and the heifer is earning her keep.

Chris H":3r6s3x20 said:
If the heifer was worth keeping as a replacement, she's probably worth keeping another year even if she lost her calf this year due to the circumstances you state.

Hooray! Some may consider it foolish but saving a couple of hundred bucks a year by culling won;t put those genetics to use in your herd in the future. This year it may be the financial best idea to cull, but long term it may be not to smart.

dun

i agree with dun and chris. and the cow will likely never have another problem calving.

Agreed with dun, chris, and Caustic...

Keep her... another misfire and she goes down the road.

She is an excellent replacement with a good family history in our herd so I am very willing to give her another shot.
thanks for the replys
george

Chalk up "strike one".
Chris, that's a good idea - I might be chicken to pull a calf that's been doing great - but I'll tuck that idea away - might just have a situation that would work in the future.

Unfortunately this year we have had a lot of problems calving, we won't cull unless there was a medical problem with the cow/heifer

I agree with everyone else. If she has good genetics give her another chance. Around here cows and heifers are cheap due to the drought and not bringing much anyways.

George Monk":3rbalx6c said:
My question is because she has lost her calf is she a candidate for culling?

George

Depending on the quality of the heifer and her genetics, not in my book. A leg back was not her fault, and the chances are it will not happen again. Assuming she is a heifer I would want in my herd, I would carry her for a year and see what happens next year.