Heifer leaking milk,is this bad?

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
Hello I asked this on another thread about bagging up but it must have got missed.
My Highland heifer was preg checked 7 month ago along with my cow, who the vet said was 2 month at the time, and the heifer was not.
Well she started bagging up or whatever you call it when a heifer starts growing an udder.
I checked a couple of weeks ago and it was only a couple of quarters just starting to fill out. Yesterday I noticed she has quite a little udder on her now (been busy with the cow that had her calf 10 days ago,so my vet was really close).
Also noticed some milk on her leg! I don't see it dripping , it must leak when she lays down.
Is this normal ? I'm thinking she can't be more than 7 month (or 8 ,don't know how early a vet can detect pregnancies) but if she was close to the cow he would have been able to tell at the time.
She is not showing in her belly but she is huge (not fat) like Holstein size!
I know I could call the vet back to preg check, but I figured if you guys can at least tell me if the leaking is nothing to worry about I can save 50 some bucks!
Thanks ,Chris

I would think from your description of the bag that the vet missed her. It is a little hard to tell early. Don't worry about the leaking, when she calves the calf will take care of it.

Thanks Kenny. So you think she's pretty close if she's leaking?
Does a heifer's udder get as big (or close to ) a cows right before they calf?
It's also very firm but still kinda small but a lot bigger than 2 weeks ago!
I would say its about 1/2 basketball size.
Thanks,Chris

From my limited experience you should be expecting a calf. Let things take their course, but if you see a water bag, or hooves, she should deliver in 2 -3 hrs from that point. If she doesn't you need to pull the calf or have the vet out to pull it. Most time things go just fine but heifers don't always follow the rules to just be prepared.

Yes I think she is probably going to calve. A heifer may have a good sized bag or almost none at all. It is really hard to tell.
Don't worry until you see her calving and then go do something else for a while and she will probably have it when you return.

Wow thanks, didn't expect that at all. She is 3 1/2 and for some reason never got pregnant before( 2 different bulls) so after the preg check last time .......
So I have her with the bull and 2 yearling bulls ,should I separate her from them? I could put her with the cow and 10 day old but I'm almost afraid that calf will stat nursing on her. Would he?
Thanks,Chris

First question is why would you keep a 3 plus year old heifer?
If the calf is getting enough at home he isn;t likely to go looking for a snack from the neighbor. He might mess around with it if she had somebody nursing her but it isn;t real likely. Rememeber what was posted about calving problems with heifers over 2 years old!

She is more of a pet , I only have a few.
Gonna have to search on the over 3 heifer problems. I thought there were more problems with younger heifers.
Thanks for the heads up, Chris
P:so you do think I should take her away from the bulls then?

I would separate her from the boys and stick her with the cow and calf

Well I had the vet come out because I thought she had mastitis in one teat, it's really hard and swollen, but he said it's just her coming into milk, she has colostrum already. He said probably a couple more weeks , but she was bad and he only got a quick feel when he palpated her.
I have her with the cow and calf now.
Thanks, Chris