Heifer in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Kerry

Reaction score
My cow, 11 months old tomorrow, had her first heat cycle yesterday, at least I believe she did. Mowed/Bellowed all evening yesterday, this morning she was quiet but did have a discharge so I figure that was her first heat. Can you tell me how many times a year does she go into heat or is an all year event.
Thank you, Kerry

Its an all year event until she is bred. Heifers/cows cycle (on average) 21-30 days.....I have seen heifers/cows cycle early as 15 days and as long as 45 days.....all depends on her individual genetics.... Might want to wait until summer to decide to breed her....she'll be 13-15 months old by then which is min. age to breed her....if you breed her in, let say, June, she'll calve next March..... Goodluck to you!

Normally every 17 to 22 days. 21 days is supposed to be average but our cows normally cycle a day or so earlier. She can come into heat all year long if she is not bred.

I have heard of cows cycling as much as 27 days apart.

Thank you for your quick responses. Another question. The farm I bought her at said they would wait until April 2005 to breed her. Am I putting her through stress if I wait another year to breed her? She is my first and only cow, a Dexter, and there are no Dexters near my home. I have briefly checked into AI but my vet does not do that, said they could probably refer me to someone but stated with only one cow it is hard to tell when they are in heat, although this time it was not hard at all. Again, your responses are greatly appreciated.

I'm new at all this, but I wouldn't wait until April. Once my heifer went into heat, it was quite the noisy production every three weeks until she was 15 months old and I bred her. I bred her with a dexter bull that lives about an hour and 15 minutes away from me. I think you can do a search for the dexter cattle association to see what is available in your area or IM prices. It sure has been pleasant around our house since the bellowing stopped!!!

How long does a cow stay in heat? A few days? Is the behavior different between a heifer in heat and a cow in heat? I dont recall mine bellowing / mooing all night long since I've had them (about 5 months now.) I've got them with the bull right now (for the past 3 weeks) and I still haven't noticed any irregular behavior, at least out of the cows! The bull raised some cane the first weekend we got him! Seemed the neighbor across the street picked the same weekend to move his cattle into his small field (right across from my pasture) as I picked to pick up my bull! All night long his 2 bulls and my bull were grunting / groaning.Thanks goodness it was a Saturday night, as I am sure the neighbors were cussing me the next morning!

To be abolutely precise, ain't know way of telling how they'll behave. Generally they'll behave the same each heat until they're bred, generally. The next time they may be the same or totally different. The only thing for sure is that they will act different from what is normal for them. Could be as minor as standing in a corner and looking into the distance, could be bellering and trying to mount anything insight, humans included.
The time span is from 12 to 24 hours although the activity will usaully vary during the time period.
I'm sure you've noticed the liberal use of genrally, and usually, that's the precise part.

dun

eric":2rb6ozsa said:
How long does a cow stay in heat? A few days? Is the behavior different between a heifer in heat and a cow in heat? I dont recall mine bellowing / mooing all night long since I've had them (about 5 months now.) I've got them with the bull right now (for the past 3 weeks) and I still haven't noticed any irregular behavior, at least out of the cows! The bull raised some cane the first weekend we got him! Seemed the neighbor across the street picked the same weekend to move his cattle into his small field (right across from my pasture) as I picked to pick up my bull! All night long his 2 bulls and my bull were grunting / groaning.Thanks goodness it was a Saturday night, as I am sure the neighbors were cussing me the next morning!

I guess I need to keep a closer eye on them now, and see if I notice anything out of the ordinary. I plan on leaving the bull in the pasture with them until the middle of summer (4 mos). Me thinks the bull is a 2nd shift breeder, as we havent seen him mount any cows yet, but he sure puts his nose up there every chance he gets! And they can't urinate without him coming over and checking it out! The kids are calling him "night stalker" because of his (hopefully) nighttime activities!

eric":2xs6spt0 said:
?? That makes about as much sense as most of your political comments. You are one angry old man aren't you? What made you that way? Are you this way around your family?
Go ahead You Liberal. Next time you need information don't send me a private message crying in your BEER.

If I knew how you were gonna act, I wouldnt have sent the first one! You do seem to have knowledge about the cattle industry, but its all the other stuff you spew out that I cant put up with! I thought I had asked you a legitimate question about cows, and you shot back with some smart a$$ answer which wasnt very helpful! I feel that you knew the answer to my question, as you have been around cattle most of your life, but because I differ from you politically, you didnt want to help me. Thanks for nothing!

eric":19iq7c4k said:
If I knew how you were gonna act, I wouldnt have sent the first one! You do seem to have knowledge about the cattle industry, but its all the other stuff you spew out that I cant put up with! I thought I had asked you a legitimate question about cows, and you shot back with some smart a$$ answer which wasnt very helpful! I feel that you knew the answer to my question, as you have been around cattle most of your life, but because I differ from you politically, you didnt want to help me. Thanks for nothing!
I gave uou the same answer that I would have given to any one else.

Be nice and try to help him if you can, Lloyd. Else he may want some big government program to do it, then YOU will have to PAY for it and that will really make you "one angry old man." And most of the rest of us, too.

Latest posts