heifer in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

Elda

Reaction score
My daughters show heifer goes crazy. When she comes in heat she climbs panels, runs through fences, what ever it takes to get out. She just showed her at the fair. She started coming in and was hard to control. When we got home she had to be put in a stock trailer to keep her home. We even had to put tin over the top at the end to keep her from crawling out. Is this normal? Does this mean she can't show her anymore? She has really put a lot of work into her. She wasn't even due to come in yet. Any help appreciated. One lady at the fair gives her heifers calf calm. Is that good? Does it help? Please help!!
Elda

She is 13 months old.

I agree. I would choose Melatonin or something else over Calf Calm. I've seen quite a few calves not be effected in the slightest bit by calf calm, so I'm not very confident about its effectiveness.

Keep track of her heat cycle and if it's going to fall during a show give her a shot of Lut to bring her in early. It will work after about day 12 of the cycle and will bring her in heat in 48 hours. Don't give her Lut if there's any chance she is bred, she'll abort.

BudE":po7km1la said:
Keep track of her heat cycle and if it's going to fall during a show give her a shot of Lut to bring her in early. It will work after about day 12 of the cycle and will bring her in heat in 48 hours. Don't give her Lut if there's any chance she is bred, she'll abort.
By lut, he means lutalycin [sp]. Its normal for them to be aggressive but not that aggressive. you can still show her, dont worry, if you have any other q's, pm me.
d6cattleman

I would breed her on her next cycle. If she takes, you problem should be solved. If not, short cycle her with lut. You can plan on her coming in during the middle of the week rather than the weekend. He have used it on our heifers without any breeding problems.

Latest posts