heifer in heat

Help Support CattleToday:

rjbovine

Reaction score
I have a angus heifer that has been in heat three time since Dec. . For what ever reason she wont settle . So here's my question . If she was sterile due to being a twin would she come in heat ? And any Ideas why she would not settle . This heifer was bought at the sale barn a year ago weighed around 600 lb.. Really nice heifer just won't settle . Thanks rj

rjbovine":1nsgfl50 said:
I have a angus heifer that has been in heat three time since Dec. . For what ever reason she wont settle . So here's my question . If she was sterile due to being a twin would she come in heat ? And any Ideas why she would not settle . This heifer was bought at the sale barn a year ago weighed around 600 lb.. Really nice heifer just won't settle . Thanks rj

Was her twin - male or female???

I don't know that she was a twin . Maybe I should ask . Would a heifer from a set of twins 'male/female' that was sterile come in heat ? thanks rj

rjbovine":1pladwej said:

I had one 2 years ago that wouldnt settle because she had cysts. If she hasnt settled yet, after that many heat cycles and no prego, time to finish her or ship her. Fertility is a must for the factory.

Had a heifer we raised some years ago. Single birth female. Nice looking heifer, went ahead and registered her. She would never stick. Came in heat like clock work around every 21 days. Got tired of seeing the bull with her and was afraid she finally would get hurt coming in so often. She went on to be burger. Bull had no problems getting the rest of them to stick so something was wrong with her. Not sure what but she cost us some money.

rjbovine":2sycgy6d said:
I don't know that she was a twin . Maybe I should ask . Would a heifer from a set of twins 'male/female' that was sterile come in heat ? thanks rj

A heifer that is a twin to a male may be a freemartin:

a hermaphrodite or imperfect sterile female calf that is the twin of a male calf whose hormones affected its development.

rjbovine":4thbwgf9 said:

Yes freemartins can come into heat. Large variety of possible issues with the malformed repro tract. Underdeveloped uterus, cervix, ovaries, etc. that will prevent her from settling.

Never seen it with my heifers but some of my older cows are always getting hunched, making me question whether they're bred. 8 times out of 10 they spit out a calf, generally around the date from the 1st time I recorded seeing the bull on them (according to the gestation calc). The only way to know for sure if she's bred or possibly a freemartin is to have her checked by your vet, who can also diagnose whether she has cysts (and discuss whether treatment is an option or worth your time & money). I sell heifers I either just don't like, too small, have too many, bad attitude, whatever . . . but there's a reason they end up at the sale barn.

Latest posts