Heifer in heat again? How soon is too soon?

Help Support CattleToday:

michelle43

Reaction score
Hello, I currently own a 2 yr old Highland heifer, a yearling highland x angus steer, a 6 year old angus cow with a 3 month heifer calf at her side, and a 3.5 month holstein steer calf. I am also renting an angus bull that has been with my 'herd' for 7.5 weeks and has bred the heifer twice, the last time last Saturday, (almost a week ago),

I have not seen my cow cycle and was given advice to pull the calf for 36 hrs to get her cycling. I did that last Sunday morning.

Anyway, today while watching my cows, I saw my heifer attempt to mount my highland x angus steer. He then immediately mounted her back, which caused the bull to come running. Yesterday, I saw the bull sniff the rear of my cow and do that flehmen response with his head, but nothing since.

Is my heifer back in heat less than a week after her last heat? Or could the cow be coming into heat and the heifer is sensitive to it? Also, my heifers last two heat cycles have been right at 21-22 days if that helps. I hope I've given enough info for some good advice. Thanks in advance!

Michelle

Just offhand I'd say that with such a small group you're getting alot of false positives. If you see the bull, steer, and maybe the cow following her around and mounting as she paces the fences once a week then you have a problem but just a single mount or two is pretty common, especially with a small mixed group of cattle.

Thanks, I was hoping it was a dominance thing. I'm hoping she settles this time. I only have the bull for a few more weeks. Any advice on why my cow isn't cycling?

Without seeing your herd I can't say for sure but I'll give you my rule of thumb that relates to about eighty percent of the problems that I run into with getting cows pregnant.
A cow will take care of her calf first, herself second, and THEN she will think about a new calf.

You have to give her enough nutrition to meet all three goals. Reproduction is always the first of the three to fail since it's bottom on her priority list.
How much feed and what kind of feed are they getting? What kind of pasture are they on and how big of a pasture is it?

To what CP said, you can give her a shot of GnRH followed 7 days later with a shot of lutzlyse and she will come in

The cows on 15 acres of orchard grass pasture that I have divided up so I can rotate the pasture. I also give 1/2 pound to 1 pound of grain in the morning just to keep them coming to me when I need them. Her body condition looks great and her coat is shiny. Her calf looks great also. Do I need a vet to obtain those shots? I can't seem to find any large animal vets near me willing to take on new clients. It's unbelievable! Id love to give her the Gnrh shot today if I could get my hands on some. Do you give it subcutaneous?

michelle43":2fanb5b5 said:
The cows on 15 acres of orchard grass pasture that I have divided up so I can rotate the pasture. I also give 1/2 pound to 1 pound of grain in the morning just to keep them coming to me when I need them. Her body condition looks great and her coat is shiny. Her calf looks great also. Do I need a vet to obtain those shots? I can't seem to find any large animal vets near me willing to take on new clients. It's unbelievable! Id love to give her the Gnrh shot today if I could get my hands on some. Do you give it subcutaneous?
You have to get it and the lute from vet, or an AI tech, or maybe a dairy, or somone around you that raises cattle.

Thanks again.....I've got my cow scheduled doe a Gnrh shot bon Monday. By the way, after the Lute shot, how long before she will cycle?

The vet came out on Monday and attempted to do a rectal on 'Big Mama'. Anyway, he was shoulder deep when she decided she'd had enough of that. I'm building a small chute so he can try again tomorrow. I'll update later after the vet's next visit.

Latest posts