Heifer hoof problem/swelling

Help Support CattleToday:

insurman

Reaction score
Have a 2 yr old heifer that is about 6 months bred.

This weekend, late Saturday, I notice her with a slight limp. Back left hoof area is swollen around the top of the hoof and in the back. Here are a couple of pics..Because of the heavy rain the last couple of days we cannot get the trailer to the pens and get her to the Vet. Vet said to give her a penicillin shot and gave my wife an anti-inflammatory to give her until we can get her in, hopefully tomorrow or Wednesday.

Thoughts?

Pretty much looks like standard footrot to me. But what do I know.

Insurman, I don't have enough experience to give any good advice on your heifer's foot problem. I hope it heals well.

What I do want to comment on is the green grass she is standing on in the last picture you posted. I'm so envious! We are still covered with 30" of snow and the sight of green grass really caught my eye. Will this winter ever end?!

In all seriousness, I hope your heifer recovers soon.

I would hate to disparage your local veterinary practitioner, but you should be using tetracycline and not penicillin. 4.5cc per 100 lbs of your favorite generic LA 200 or 300 product is the way to start on run of the mill feet and eye issues. One dose of a short acting penicillin isn't going to do much.

jerry27150":3coc8dfd said:
those usually go down in a few days on their own
I've never had one heal spntaneously without antibiotics. Did have a cow that I couldn;t treat for a week that got back to normal and 3 weeks later got footrot again. Treated her again and the same deal. Finally had the vet look at her, turned out the infection had settled in the joint, had to ship her limping.

dun if it was hoof rot he should be smelling it, if it is that far along, had hoof rot in dairy one time where over 50% were affected & had to keep cutting it out & never had one swell like that. have had hundreds look just like this & they get over it fine

Looks like footrot and you need to get some la200 into her. If she gets worse than that by the time you get her doctored sulfa boluses will help a bunch.
You also need a new vet.

Thanks for the advice..the penecillian was because that was all we initially had, calling in the AM on the LA 200 or 300. Thanks again..

dun":3n3iq836 said:
jerry27150":3n3iq836 said:
those usually go down in a few days on their own
I've never had one heal spntaneously without antibiotics. Did have a cow that I couldn;t treat for a week that got back to normal and 3 weeks later got footrot again. Treated her again and the same deal. Finally had the vet look at her, turned out the infection had settled in the joint, had to ship her limping.

Same here Dun. We see it a few times a year, looks just like the picture. We also give LA300, and in 48 hours they are back to normal with no swelling. Saw one in a pasture at a friends place, and he had no facility to catch her. She was bad for weeks. We sure hate to see one suffer in pain when you can quickly and easily treat it.

Hang on guys - not so fast on ditching the veterinarian.
My first thought was also...penicillin...not really useful for much of anything we deal with in food animals anymore. Can only think of a couple of conditions where I even consider using it.

But, this ain't my first rodeo. Next thought was... what's the rest of the story, the part that we didn't get from insurman initially.
All he had on hand was penicillin. It was something he could give right then, so the vet told him to use that - but hopefully also recommended a tetracycline.

If the infection gets "in the joint" is there still hope for recovery? ( in reference to the post about the cow suffering for weeks)(not judging just for future knowledge)

talltimber":2llby921 said:
If the infection gets "in the joint" is there still hope for recovery? ( in reference to the post about the cow suffering for weeks)(not judging just for future knowledge)
Don;t know for sure but the vet trated for it and it still was hopeless.

Update...

Heifer is doing great. Actually had a second one come up with the same.

Need to clear up the "getting a new vet" thing...this past Sunday and Monday we got hammered with rain in central Texas. When I was able to reach the Vet on Sunday he said if penicellin was all I had then use it until I could get her in... Not until this morning could I get the trailer in..loaded both up, to the Vet, cleaned the area and applied a pour on and then a good shot of LA300 (as recommended by all on here) Back to the pens for the night and will let them out with the herd tomorrow.

There are 3 vets in this group and they have gone above and beyond to help on various issues...will be keeping them.

Now going forward...I have a bottle of the LA300 and the pour on.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for that update, insurman.

It's easy to jump to conclusions...but I've learned from years of dealing with producers and other veterinarians...that the whole story isn't always offered up right off the bat. Sometimes the details aren't known...sometimes you have to ask the 'right' questions...and sometimes the 'right question' is not necessarily in line with what the owner or veterinarian tells you... (perceived) peripheral things sometimes are more important than is realized at the outset.

Latest posts