Heifer heat question

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

4 days ago a 2 yr old heifer was in a standing heat. Watched her get rode 20-30 times by a cow and a young heifer. Today, the same cow and heifer are following her all over again but she's not standing for them. Cow has tried to mount her. Young heifer has not tried to mount cow or heifer, like she did when the cow was in. I did AI the 2 yr old heifer on that hot heat 4 days ago
What's going on? Residual hormones? Neighboring animals cycling, maybe 5 month old heifer cycling?

I got one 4 yr old black cow that any time they are bunched up she starts mounting. It's really annoying but I just make sure nothing is riding her and forget about it. I guess she just likes to do that. :bang:

Interesting head butting session this evening. But all the attention is still focused on the older heifer.

Nailed it Jeanne. Cow stood this evening. Only thing is its no where near her normal cycle time. A full week early if it is a true cycle. Blood results should be in tomorrow, but I'm not going to hold my breath, and ill put a carefully placed straw in her tomorrow morn

My best cow candy we AI'D in july didn't catch her perfect but gave it a try , got real busy but was watch'n come 20 nosign of heat so I figured she took , then come 40 days she's in full heat . I had her AI'D again this time conditions were perfect so now I figure we is done for 9 months , that was september . Come december 4 she's prancin around in front of to steers like she's in heat again . I got the whole week at home to watch her now and I really payed attention from the 22nd too the 26th and nothing , prettysure now she took back in september , but I'M JUST NOT SURE ! , see decmber 4th would have been perfect for her cycle. :hide:

hooknline":2z7fww4s said:
Nailed it Jeanne. Cow stood this evening. Only thing is its no where near her normal cycle time. A full week early if it is a true cycle. Blood results should be in tomorrow, but I'm not going to hold my breath, and ill put a carefully placed straw in her tomorrow
Breed her and give her a dose of gnrh if you have it available. You may well know why she was at the sale now. :frowns:

This wasn't a sale cow. She's given us 3 calves on schedule.
Does the gnrh shot do anything using the am/pm rule? I do have gnrh.

hooknline":3k4y333x said:
This wasn't a sale cow. She's given us 3 calves on schedule.
Does the gnrh shot do anything using the am/pm rule? I do have gnrh.
Am /pm assumes that the cow ovulates about eight to twelve hours after her heat cycle begins. With gnrh you can time it within a few minutes. Keep in mind that a bulls semen needs travel time and it's an easy jump to understanding why intra-uterine deposited semen should be placed AFTER standing estrus.
In your case, I'd just give it when you breed her since she's already cycling. She may not have a problem at all but gnrh won't hurt so all it can do is help.

Latest posts