Heifer Feed Management

Help Support CattleToday:

AF Ranch

Reaction score
Just purchased 9 limosin heifers due to calve March to May of 07'. They were purchased private treaty from a gentlemen that I think overfeeds. Everyone agrees they are currently a little overweight. He had them on good grass for forage (not fescue) 30% liquid supplement, creep feeding them Accuration with cracked corn (80% - 20%) + Purina's Wind & Rain mineral.
Question is.......going forward, I need a good feed plan. If his program is correct I will continue. I have them on fescue for forage, and have a creep feeder, bunk & mineral feeders. Their needs are #1, cost is #2.

Turn them out on the fescue and provide a mineral that is formulated for fescue pasture. We've tried various minerals over the years and the only one that we've never had a problem with palatability. Other brands, sometimes they'ld each it like candy other times they would leave it sit for months at a time without touching it. Unless you're planning on pampering them in the long run, you need to find out now if they can cut it on fescue. Usually if a bred heifer does ok on fescue without a supplement they'll do ok as a cow. Between now and March you have plenty of time to let them lose a little weight to get into the condition they need to be in for calving as heifers, I like them around 6.5 but not 7. If you have to start feeding poor quality hay during the winter, that's the time to provide some supplement.

dun

My long range plan is to keep the nine heifers. Sell their steers and heifers as weaned, value added, terminal calves.
Thanks for you comments.......especially from someone local.

be careful -

we bought open heifers (who turned out to be bred) that came off an oat field. We don't have oats, but we do have good hay and grass and we had liquid protein out. They lost so much weight after calving, they didn't re-breed for several months. Now, they are maintaining weight and producing excellent calves every 11-12 months.

They were so acclimated to the high protein knee high oats, they wouldn't search or eat for several months. I've learned to not provide too much for them.

Latest posts