Heifer fat off grass and grass hay ??

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
My Hereford heifer is getting so fat, I'm a little concerned. She is 18 months old , and hopefully 3 months pregnant- haven;t had her preg checked, but she hasn't come in heat since she was AI'd.
She has just been on grass, until recently when the grass dried up. For a few weeks she's been getting local grass hay maybe a half a bale a day, plus free choice minerals.
She looks like she swallowed a keg- well, she looks like the cow in my avatar only younger and red- she is in my avatar just directly behind the black cow.

I don't think it's good to have a fat heifer, but good nutrition is important too, right?
I guess I'd just like to know that it's ok that she looks like a blimp.
I'll try to get a picture posted tomorrow--

Thanks,
Susie

susie":143wyz9j said:
My Hereford heifer is getting so fat, I'm a little concerned. She is 18 months old , and hopefully 3 months pregnant- haven;t had her preg checked, but she hasn't come in heat since she was AI'd.
She has just been on grass, until recently when the grass dried up. For a few weeks she's been getting local grass hay maybe a half a bale a day, plus free choice minerals.
She looks like she swallowed a keg- well, she looks like the cow in my avatar only younger and red- she is in my avatar just directly behind the black cow.

I don't think it's good to have a fat heifer, but good nutrition is important too, right?
I guess I'd just like to know that it's ok that she looks like a blimp.
I'll try to get a picture posted tomorrow--

Thanks,
Susie

While good nutrition is good, letting your cows get too fat is not. Being too fat can cause problems with calving. They need to be in good condition but not excessively fat.

You can;t judge fatness from the barrel size. It's the deposition of actual fat that's the problem. Those animals developed on forage and not supplemented will typically, if the have the right genetics, will alwasy appear large in the body.
Look for the amount of fat covering the ribs, tail head, brisket, etc.

http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/ansci/beef/as1026w.htm

dun

true. i hate cows with huge ribcages. they either look skinny as all get out when they arent, or they look disproportionately humongous.

At first feedings of hay and late in the summer mine get that big barrel look also. I think is is from poor forage and they are eating more. Pen them up at night in a dry lot at night.

Scotty

from the way your talking.i dont think your heifer is to fat.she is what id call and sassy.she will lose weight in the winter.when she starts burning more engery.scott

119_1936.jpg

Here's a picture- she seemed more round last night- i guess I'm just paranoid-- Or perhaps she was gassy :)

Susie

Looks just like some of mine do now. Just full and not too fat. I wouln't worry.

Scotty

I have a bull calf that was very round in the middle.....my experienced friends told me he had hay belly. I have been feeding him grain in addition to the hay and he looks a lot better. :cboy:

I have a bull calf that was very round in the middle.....my experienced friends told me he had hay belly. I have been feeding him grain in addition to the hay and he looks a lot better. :cboy:

When I feed my reg. bullsthey get a belly at first. They grow out of it in a few months.

Scotty

It doesn't appear to me that you have anything to worry about. Cattle are designed for a forage based diet by nature, and adequate capacity is very important if they are going to be easy doers.

She looks fine to me. I remember when ALL Herefords and Anguses had that barrell look. She is not fat at all. I think we made a mistake when we lost some of that in some bloodlines.

Yep she is fine,

Well if she isnt I am in a mess cause I have a dozen or so just like her.

Have great one

MD

Susie....your heifer looks good, she's not fat. Our Herefords tend to have good capacity that looks like a hay belly as compared to the Angus. She won't look pregnant for a few more months....glad she finally settled.
Susie Mc

Susie....your heifer looks good, she's not fat. Our Herefords tend to have good capacity that looks like a hay belly as compared to the Angus. She won't look pregnant for a few more months....glad she finally settled.
Susie Mc

It's the black cow in my avatar that had trouble settling - she's been at the bulls' ( yes she's with two :D ) she's been through one heat and due to come in this week if she's not bred- crossing my fingers! She's been with a couple of nice Hereford bulls- one of them is the red cow's sire. She's probably going to go to my husband's boss' house- he has 40 acres ,4 homeschooled kids that will probably milk her- their that way-- perfect home for her! I just don't have enough land to keep from feeding all the time, and don't really enjoy having to do hay every day.
We're keeping the heifer- hoping she's an easy keeper. She's not halter broke yet like Sally, but she is getting very friendly. She is bred to a Murray Grey, she took the first try. :)

Thanks!
Susie

Latest posts