Heifer eye problems

Help Support CattleToday:

lbaxley

Reaction score
I'm a newbie on here so please bare with me, but one of my heifers has a sort of whitish/cloudy spot on the center of the eyeball. I'm not really sure what this could be and if it something serious? Any help please.

Without seeing the eye I'm assuming pinkeye or an eye abrasion (post a pic). It can be easily treated if caught early, otherwise it will ulcerate & can cause blindness. I spray the eye with Vetericyn and treat with LA300. In severe cases, an eye patch or sewing the eye shut. If you purchased the heifer and she already had the cloudy spot the damage has been done but if this is something new I would definitely treat.

If the eye isn't "running" or "weeping" then it is probably an old case of pinkeye. If there is any seepage down her face then it is probably new, either pinkeye or an abrasion like TCRanch said. We also have used the infusible - in the udder - mastitis formulas like "today" or a penicillin based one in the eye. It seems to soothe the eye a bit as well as deliver some antibiotic. Just lift the eyelid a bit and squeeze a little & let the blinking of the eye spread it. There are other, probably better, things like the Vetericyn, but since I have a couple of dairy cows, the mastitis stuff is usually more available, and it seems to work. Along with a shot of LA300. Some people here in this area have said they really prefer using a dose of Draxxin. We have had a new strain of pinkeye the last 2 years according to a local vet that was treating several beef cows in one herd and a friends dairy heifers were across the fence and they got it also.

I have tried spraying with Vetericyn, but she isn't very cooperative. I'm not entirely convinced that it is in fact pinkeye, it doesn't seem to be getting worse and it doesn't seem to be irritating her at all. How fast does it usually progress?

jerry27150":3ex44d7y said:
sounds like she had pinkeye before & when they heal there will be a white spot left in the center.
Have to agree, think it might be an old case. It will always have a little white/cloudy spot but usually it won't affect their sight much and if it isn't bothering her, don't worry about it. It's a long way from her reproductive tract and if she is eating then it isn't affecting her feed intake either. We have several cows that have spots, and a couple that have a completely white eye. They make fine mommas, but you do have to be careful about approaching them on their blind side.

lbaxley":2gi6rql7 said:
I have tried spraying with Vetericyn, but she isn't very cooperative. I'm not entirely convinced that it is in fact pinkeye, it doesn't seem to be getting worse and it doesn't seem to be irritating her at all. How fast does it usually progress?

is it weeping (other than when you've just sprayed it)? Does she seem light-sensitive?

no it isn't draining or anything and she doesn't seem irritated by it. I've left her alone for a few days and it hasn't gotten any worse. Its probably just an old case of pinkeye and now theres a scar there.

I have one calf with a white area about the size of a quarter. She isn't weeping, does not appear to have any redness in the eyelid and isn't sensitive to sunlight, now that we finally have some. Thanks for the info.