Heifer Eye Discharge Sick

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Had a heifer tonight that didnt come in with the rest. Didnt look TOO bad from a distance in a slotlight. Standing and alert. Walked out to her and she had thick yellow discharge coming from both eyes. Not too much of a runny nose. Eye not squinched shut like normal pink eye I have encountered. I got her in the head gate, gave her a little over max dose of LA300 and some b12 complex. Also deworned her while I had her there. Fed her some hay and is eating fine. Anyone have a guess as to what it might be. Been raining and cooler weather came in the last 3 days. She has been locked off in 2 acres with some other heifers with a heifer bull. Seems I get most of my sick cows whenever they are penned up for a while or not allowed to graze the full pastures. Any suggestions.

I had one like that in one eye not long ago. No other symptom of feeling bad so I kept an eye on her that evening and the next day or so. Nothing else, she was fine. I think maybe she got something in it, idk. At that point in time nothing else was visibly ill, and she never showed any other signs.
Mine didn't stand off/out though. She was still coming to feed.

Yeah I didn't feed them last night I just walked out there but they always come in to see what I'm up to because they think I'm going to feed them. She was the only one that didn't come in

I've had the yellow discharge in both eyes that turned out to be nothing more than an allergy but that was in the summer/dusty/windy and Vetericyn cleared it up. But since she didn't come in with the herd, has somewhat of a runny nose & you've had rainy, cooler weather I would suspect the onset of pneumonia. I'd take her temp, keep an eye on her & call your vet if there's no improvement - Draxxin is generally preferable for treating BRD.

TCRanch":1d4n5xug said:
I've had the yellow discharge in both eyes that turned out to be nothing more than an allergy but that was in the summer/dusty/windy and Vetericyn cleared it up. But since she didn't come in with the herd, has somewhat of a runny nose & you've had rainy, cooler weather I would suspect the onset of pneumonia. I'd take her temp, keep an eye on her & call your vet if there's no improvement - Draxxin is generally preferable for treating BRD.
Yea the more I think about it if it is pneumonia the longer it goes the harder it seems for them to recover. I guess I will go ahead and take these girls to get palpated tomorrow and have her checked. If she is bred I will get her treated and out of that pasture. Seems like when I have a group confined to small areas they seem to pick something up. Plus not really much shelter from the freezing rain there. Got down in the 3o's last week. Its been raining and muddy all week. Havent had the money or time to put a lean to out there. The freaking Jersey Bull in that pasture seems to want to knock down and break anything I put out there.

greybeard":79f72bbs said:
The freaking Jersey Bull in that pasture seems to want to knock down and break anything I put out there.

Ain't that what them are supposed to do?

He'll start on you next.
Probably, he is heading for the feezer after he is done. Tender steaks. Getting him dehorned when I go to the vet. Never turn my back on him. He isnt too big yet.

BK9954":qzp8cvoh said:
greybeard":qzp8cvoh said:
The freaking Jersey Bull in that pasture seems to want to knock down and break anything I put out there.

He'll start on you next.
Probably, he is heading for the feezer after he is done. Tender steaks. Getting him dehorned when I go to the vet. Never turn my back on him. He isnt too big yet.

BK9954":294wc7mb said:
BK9954":294wc7mb said:
greybeard":294wc7mb said:

He'll start on you next.

Needs a step stool :lol: :lol:

5S Cattle":1hpxarh0 said:
BK9954":1hpxarh0 said:
BK9954":1hpxarh0 said:

Needs a step stool :lol: :lol:
He worked each heifer for about a day. He made it. My last jersey bred some big tall herefords he could barely reach. My neighbor said he would do back flips to get the job done. Never saw him but guess he did back flips. :D

Latest posts