Heifer/early calf and problem

Help Support CattleToday:

susie2

Reaction score
So Lulu had her first calf on 3-18 without any problem, calf is doing great ... HOWEVER her calf was due April 3rd. ,Lulu seems to be doing great also BUT she still has her placenta stuff retained as she has a cord hanging that is now as long as her tail .... Does she need help? or will she expel it ? I have raised show goats for years and when I had retained placenta,I tied a rock on the hanging placenta for weight and it detached BUT with this cow ..... I am AFRAID of her !!!.... Lulu Angusgirl is not tame and she wont let me do anything but pet her head and touching the calf is out of the question ....... so do I need to call the mobile vet ??????? "" HELP ""

Do you have a chute or some way of restraining her? She might be fine left alone but if it doesn't eventually come out she will need some shots

When I went out yesterday evening the cord is gone and everything looks normal back there and the calf is jumping around so looks like everything is normal and good . Thanks !!! for the help as input eases my mind :) My other heifers are due April 28

susie2":10ltokwv said:
When I went out yesterday evening the cord is gone and everything looks normal back there and the calf is jumping around so looks like everything is normal and good . Thanks !!! for the help as input eases my mind :) My other heifers are due April 28
Sounds good! Though if she starts to smell real bad then there might be more in there

For future info:
Vets used to always go in and "unbutton" the afterbirth if it was not expelled within 24 hours and put uterine boluses in her.
It has been proven that you should NEVER do anything with it. Let it rot & fall out on it's own You should never give her any kind of antibiotics - UNLESS - the cow gets sick.
The normal good bacteria in her system eats away at the rotting pieces and cleans her up. If you give antibiotics (when she is NOT sick), you kill the good bugs. LEAVE HER ALONE. If she has a long placenta, dragging the ground, you can cut it shorter or knot it up.
"generally" a cow will tend to retain her placenta if she calves extremely early, has twins (which usually comes early) or lacking minerals (like Selenium).
If a cow retains her placenta for more than a few days, you might give her a Lutalyse shot after 10 days to flush out her uterus.

Latest posts