heifer due to calve, bleeding

Help Support CattleToday:

vchip777

Reaction score
Is it normal for a heifer to bleed off and on before giving birth? she is due anytime from now to the next two weeks. She seems fine but has been bleeding every couple of days for the past 2 weeks. She is not one of our more friendly heiffers. Does this men we need to expect an abnormal birth?

Yes it was coming from inside. It was very long and stringy, more like discharge. Waiting for the vet to call back. Though she seems to have stopped--nothing for 5 days and she seems to be just fine now. Due any day.

Vet says take a wait and see attitude since she seems fine and has stopped bleeding and discharge. will let you know how things turn out.

I wonder if it was just the mucus plug and while dilating maybe ruptured some small blood vessels.

dun

manaftergodsheart413":1f2c9jq7 said:
do you guys think that may be a sign of miscarriage ?
"Generally" any sign of blood coming from the vagina is a sign that the calf is being stressed in some way.
But, we are dealing with living creatures - and they always like to prove us wrong. :D

Has anything more happened?
I'd have been inclined to do an internal examination - either personally or get the vet out to do it. I guess it depends how close your vets are, what your facilities are like and how unfriendly she is!