Heifer down after stillborn calf

Help Support CattleToday:

waterman74

Reaction score
Hey guys,
My best and favorite heifer this year lost her calf and is down.... She tries to get up, and did stand for about 30 seconds today... Most of the time she gets her back end up, but stays on her knees on the front... Gave her water and pellets today, and a steroid shot... I'm out of town and I have family taking care of her, any help would be appreciated.... My mom thinks her left back leg is the issue... Are there any high energy food to give her or other meds...I know the longer she is down, the chances aren't good, she's been down at least 24 hours.... Thanks

Get her to a place out of the weather and where she can be fed and watered regularly. Most are up to stay within a week.

Yes it would be nice to get her in like Gcreek suggested but where she is does not look too bad so if you can't move her maybe erect a bit of a cover and bring food and water to her. The fact that she has been up and is trying are good signs and she appears bright in those photos. Best of luck with her.

Ken

I had one down with nerve damage a few years ago. And fortunately she was in the barn when it happened. Gave her Dex and she slowly gained enough strength to get up on her own. Looked almost like she had contracted tendons on her right hind foot and I would force her to exercise a little at a time. Took about 6 weeks but she healed completely.

Thanks....
This morning I was told she ate and drank, tried to get up, but her back hoofs are not wanting to flatten out, they kinda stay curled.... The neighbor is going to give her a couple more shots today..banamine and Dex hopefully....I have no way to move her or a barn to move her to at this pasture... Wife will give her some alfalfa cubes and sweet feed and water later today... And I'll post another pic. Thanks again

As far as moving her, the weather looks beautiful in the pic. Years ago I had a down cow in a far pasture with no way to move her. It was summer so I parked my Polaris next to her & stuck golf umbrellas in the utility holes of the bed for shade until one of our neighbors came over with a huge front end loader (I think 12 ft). We were able to load her in the bucket with dirt & moving pads to protect her then secured her with straps. Hauled her to the barn & gently rolled her out.

Good that she's eating & drinking. When you say her back hoofs are curled, that's what I was referring to when I mentioned contracted tendons. Good luck!

Thanks...
Well no pics... My wife did the best she could... The neighbor was unable to get any shots today... Will try again tomorrow. She is still eating and drinking and moves around.... Still tries to get up, but back hoofs still not angled properly... Stays on knees in the front... I'm assuming the worst at this point... Good news is I got another new calf and it is doing well.

Sad to say but I am beginning to believe that one of my old farmer buddies is right.. When asked for advice on what he does with downer cows he said that he slaps her with his hat, and if she doesn't get up, her shoots her..

I'm going have my brother drench her with cmpk tomorrow... Not ready to give up, yet unless she does.

I have had them like that,too.Give her time.She is eating and trying to get up on her own.I once had one down for six weeks.We carried feed and water to her everyday.She finally got up,made a good cow and the only thing you could tell about her was the little spot of white hair where she had skinned a place falling.

As long as she is trying, you need to give her some time. And to sound like a weirdo, but does your vet have any experience in Chiropractic? We have a vet here that does alot of it. Has saved 2 high priced dairy cows that were down for weeks with the farmer getting them up with slings and all. Then the vet worked on their spines and they were able to get up and going. Had to have a couple of treatments. It is common practice to do that in many horses. I think BF even has had one or two horses worked on. It is usually a combination of borderline low in minerals, and nerve damage from compression during calving.

When she does get up be prepared for a total lack of appreciation for all you have done for her. We've had a few over the years that we've dealt with and it is quite common for them to get up the first time when you are bringing them feed or water. For some reason they blame you for their predicament and upon getting to their feet will take down on you immediately. Just my two cents!

We have one down, never fails, at least one a year. THis one was having her calf, stood, then sat down on the calf's head and she was unable to push him out. SO he was stuck maybe 30 min until we showed back up. She has good control of one leg, but the other buckled at the ankle. I wasn't worried about her being taken care of in the pasture until the black vultures showed up. Son went out there to give her water yesterday and she had around 30 sitting all around and even on her. Luckily, they hadn't started eating her. We brought her to the house so we can watch her. This morning, she was standing and walking around.
My experience with this is, if there is movement in one leg her odds of recovering are good. If there is no movement in either leg, no chance of any recovery is my experience. And when I mean no movement, that means none. If she can move an foot, she has a chance, slight, but there is a chance. But the more movement you get, the better the odds.

Lazy M":2y10wu5a said:
Sad to say but I am beginning to believe that one of my old farmer buddies is right.. When asked for advice on what he does with downer cows he said that he slaps her with his hat, and if she doesn't get up, her shoots her..
I'm beginning to believe the same thing! :nod:

I've worked with several cows with nerve damage and the survival rate is not good it's a lot of work and time for something that almost never ends well!

Give her time, like others have said. This is an old video, 8 years ago, but this heifer was down for TWO weeks! She had the will to live, it just took time for her spine to heal (swelling causes this), and she eventually walked normally! Do not give up on her... unless she gives up on you!

[youtube]https://youtu.be/uSbAUgNm6m8[/youtube]

Thanks everyone,
Update
The cow got up all the way for about 30 seconds yesterday evening... She is still eating and drinking and moving around some... She was given a precautionary antibiotic yesterday and a cmpk drench...I have a call into a vet they are supposed to call back and either give me some shots or come take a look tomorrow. Here are some pics from this morning.

Latest posts