Heifer down after stillborn calf

Help Support CattleToday:

She is looking really good and probably has a pretty good chance of getting better! But keep in mind that they can regress a lot faster then they can progress :bang:

Update:
She was up this morning when we went to feed her and started to take her first steps and move around a little and walking when my wife left 45 minutes later... Because of that my wife wasn't comfortable giving her the Dex shot. I'm going to try to have someone walk her into the other pasture and hopefully into the pens... My concern now is that she will get down in one of the ponds....I have video of her walking, but unless someone requests to see it, I won't post it. Thanks again

Update:
Well I knew it was going happen... Last night she got herself stuck in the pond...uggh. we got her out long story short... This morning she was standing, but hoof angles wrong again. We are going to attempt to move her with a truck hood to the pens where she will be safe. I'll will continue to update this thread.

That's right Ken...
Update: Her new name is Bulletproof. Anyways, so after a bad 24 hours of going from completely stuck in a pond, to a sleigh ride on a truck hood, to now being tortured by my mom.... She is safe in a pen, where she can't get into trouble. Still weak but able to get up and eating, drinking and pooping.

You're a good man, waterman, but, to me, reading of your troubles with this heifer have cemented my "slap them with a hat, and shoot them if they don't get up" approach..
Just kidding, hope she does well for you..

No, just covered her face with a towel. I was told she was fine on her ride, and 20 minutes later was standing in the pen eating and drinking.

Lazy M,
I told my wife if she gets in the pond again we might as well shoot her.

Great job taking care of her.
I, personally, would prefer that they were on ground/pasture rather than in a barn. Yes, in a barn is more convenient for me, but not as good a footing as out on pasture.
Glad you were able to get her up closer & more "contained".

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2qxd9mwy said:
Great job taking care of her.
I, personally, would prefer that they were on ground/pasture rather than in a barn. Yes, in a barn is more convenient for me, but not as good a footing as out on pasture.
Glad you were able to get her up closer & more "contained".

Yes, great to see her being taken care of so well. I also would try to keep her outside. Maybe put some temp panels around her to keep her contained.

Hey guys..I figured I'd update this one last time.. Unless she for some reason drastically gets worse.

She is in a 4000 square foot pen, standing, walking, eating and drinking. Everything is fine except she favors her right leg just a bit... Once she is stronger and I think she can handle being loaded in the trailer, I'm bringing her to the house where she can be looked after more closely, doubtful I'll move her after that....I guess we'll just see how she does as far as getting bred and having calves for the future.

Latest posts