Heifer Down after Pulling Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms said:
Lazy M said:
T-Wacker said:
So, first calf heifer down since Friday, March 1st after pulling a dead calf. Didn't appear to be anything out of the ordinary with the size of the calf, about 65 lbs. Easy pull, just an OB chain and handle, came right out. No idea why she was having trouble other than maybe just became too fatigued to finish. Anyway, what are the opinions on here about trying to get a cow to stand? And, how do I get her up? Sling? Hip device? Been giving her antibiotics and Vitamin shots along with feed/hay/water and rolling her over every day. I didn't call the vet because I was sure she would not survive the first night. She had all but given up Friday afternoon, but I forced her on her brisket and placed a couple of large timbers behind her to keep her from stretching out. She perked up the next day so I started rolling/feeding/etc. Anything else I can give her to maybe get her going?

Slap her with your hat. If she doesn't get up, shoot her.. minimizes the suffering for all involved.

Yesterday. I was sick as a drunk dog. First calf Charbray heifer. 4 o'clock. I could tell something was wrong. Called in some reinforcements. I managed to get her in the lot while I waited. She was bad ornery. 5 o'clock. Help showed up. Got her restrained. Calf's coming backwards. Got legs straightened out and chains on. Had the calf on the ground in 2 minutes. Calf was dead. Heifer was fine. Tried to run over all of us. Had a bull shut up in the lot. He mounted her and knocked her down three times. I've never personally seen this before, but it was a bad misjudgment on my part either way. I finally was able to get him out of the lot which was a chore in itself. Got her up again with a hotshot and she tried her best to get me. Left her and she was pacing the fence. Fast forward to this morning at 7 o'clock. She's laying down, in the proper position, head up, but she had that look in her eye. Decided to give her some Dex and Banamine. Went to town to get a bottle of Dex as I only had about 5ccs. Got back at 9 o'clock and she was laying on her side with all four legs to the side and head flat on the ground. I went ahead and ended her suffering. I know the incident with the bull didn't help her any but she's the first one I've had that got up and was fine, and then killed over on me. Maybe it was stress. Or maybe she bled out internally. Either way, I guess you won't lose em if you ain't got em. Hope your situation turns out better.
The monetary loss sucks, but I wouldn't have had 2 thoughts of putting her down when she was chasing me!

I attempted to finally make the heifer stand Friday and noticed that her right rear leg seemed swollen and stiff. After getting some help Saturday morning, it was apparent that her leg was completely dead and starting to decay. It had zero movement and was completely stiff and she was never going to be able to stand again, so I had her put down. Sad situation as she was really eating well and seemed like she had her strength back. I was told she probably tore her blood supply to the hip/leg and there was nothing I could have done, but still a hard pill to swallow.

It happens to everyone if your in this business long enough. To me its the worst situation to deal with. There is not a lot you can do with a 1000 lb+ patient so you feel helpless and you never know how long to keep trying.

When I lost mine a few weeks back, I immediately replaced her with another heifer that had a healthy new born. Makes you forget your problems and keeps the herd numbers up. Plus is wasn't to bad cost wise, only $950 for the young pair.

Sorry to hear that. I had one that seemed like she was past the worst of it and then just lay down and died on me. The $700 vet bill didn't help things! But we tried all we could and that was all we could do.

Sorry to hear about your heifer. I think we have all been through this. sounds like you did all you could.

Years ago I would have done it myself, probably after just a day or two. But I didn't have the heart to put her down and had a friend of mine do it for me, couldn't even watch. All those years ago I never understood when my father starting acting like they were his pets and not a business. I guess after years of dealing with them, it happens to a lot of us, and once it gets in your blood, you have a feeling that it just isn't a business any longer. I still feel like I make the needed business decisions to make it profitable, but seems to be getting more difficult as the years go by. About to sell off 5 old cows I had for many years and produced numerous calves/replacement heifers/herd bulls. Knowing they will go to slaughter almost immediately will make me lose some sleep in the coming days, but I know that is what has to be done in this business.

If you stop feeling that way, then it is probably is time to quit. I knew I was going to have to shoot mine but it still took a couple days for me to get in the right frame of mind to do it. If I had just walked up on her and saw that she needed to be put down it would have been easier but after screwing around with her for 8 or 9 days, it became personal. I don't know how doctors that operate on people do it.