Heifer calving problem

Help Support CattleToday:

novaman":cqn32bhp said:
vclavin":cqn32bhp said:
Are you getting 60 and 70 lb calves?
Valerie
Nope. If I were getting calves that small I would freak. However, if your question is am I getting calves that are breed average, than yes I am. None of the breeds I run (Gelb, Char, Holstein) have a BW in the 60-70 pound range. Couple things to keep in mind: 1. I am in a cold weather area so BW tends to be higher 2. IMO BW and calving ease aren't directly related 3.The shape of the calf has alot to do with ease of calving.

I rest my case!!!!!

There is NO such thing as a bull that throws 60-70 lbs calves. If there were, everyone would be using that bull on heifers , especially them huge Holsteins. I know a lady that used one of those supposed 60-70 lb throwing bulls and low and behold. The heifer had a 125lb calf, That lady was hot!!!
Valerie

There is NO such thing as a bull that throws 60-70 lbs calves.

I agree... I have never in my life seen a bull have a calf... :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

They both contribute the same.... 50% to 50%

Quit acting like kids!!!!!

The trick about EPDs is that even at .99 accuracy the results will only fall within the bellcurve 66% of the time. GRanted the bell is narrower, but there are always outliers.

Santas and Duhram Reds":3ao6zfoj said:
I believe I have heard or read that Brahman cows actually release hormones that regulate the size of the developing calf.
I've heard that too, I have several with some Brahman in their background. Their calves are smaller that the other girls.
Valerie

KNERSIE":gpgvqv33 said:
Genetically each parent contribute 50% (in theory off course)

Practically the cow provides the environment for the foetus to develop in, you can still figure that into the cow's 50% if you wish, but then the environment the cow lives in also plays its part, so, as much as I'd hate to admit it, I agree with vclavin on this.

I do as well!

Birth Weight: Cow's Genetic Influence + Environment > Bull's Genetic Influence

Calving Ease: Cow's Genetic Influence > Bull's Genetic Influence, since the cow actually has the calf.

George

Herefords.US":2gi7dsf7 said:
KNERSIE":2gi7dsf7 said:
Genetically each parent contribute 50% (in theory off course)

Practically the cow provides the environment for the foetus to develop in, you can still figure that into the cow's 50% if you wish, but then the environment the cow lives in also plays its part, so, as much as I'd hate to admit it, I agree with vclavin on this.

I do as well!

Birth Weight: Cow's Genetic Influence + Environment > Bull's Genetic Influence

Calving Ease: Cow's Genetic Influence > Bull's Genetic Influence, since the cow actually has the calf.

George

I have first hand experience with George's comments this spring. I was going to sell two bred BWF heifers but changed my mind. I left these two on corn for too long in mid gestation. Result: two huge but dead calves by the time they were born.

My bull is a "calving ease" bull. All the rest of this spring's and last spring's calves about fell out of the back of heifers and cows. In this case it was environment (corn) plus some big calf genes in the heifers' backgrounds adding up to two huge dead calves.

My fault. Poor management can overcome even the best bull EPD's. Jim

Latest posts