Heifer calved--issues

Help Support CattleToday:

jkwilson

Reaction score
Had a heifer calve unassisted this morning. When it came time to lick the calf, she would put her nose on the calf's side and press down hard enough to cause the calf to bawl. While she was doing this, she was sniffing continuously. We yelled at her or clapped our hands to make her stop pushing. After about 15 minutes of this, she licked a few times, so I backed way off and watched, and she proceeded to do the normal mama thing. Calf is very active and alert now. Anybody seen that kind of behavior before?

Calf got up and tried to nurse, but she kicked at it constantly. I've got a whole drawer full of those "been there, done that" T-shirts, so we restrained the cow and got the calf hooked up. All the cow had was the molasses-y looking stuff, so we milked some out and mixed it with just enough milk from another cow so it would come through a nipple, and got some into the calf.

Probably going to give it some freeze-dried colostrum if the cow isn't cranking out any more liquid in another hour or so. Any thoughts? I'm wondering about oxytocin, thinking the heifer's hormones are a little behind, but she's talking to the calf and doesn't like us messing with it when she can't see.

molasses-y looking stuff?? boy that doesn't sound too good, nevertheless, yes, give her oxytocin for a few days, and put her in chute and clear all the teats. does she have an udder?, hope so.... hopefully calf sucking, will help bring in milk, also. should have given the colustrum right off the bat,gives calf some strength to fight for milk out of teats. leave them alone and hope mother nature kicks in . and yes, i have seen some goofy cows, beat on calf, and then accept it. hormonal, i figured......................

Sometimes heifers have really thick colostrum. Not too unusual; give her time.

Oxytocin won't do anything for her other than uterine contractions up to 48 hours post calving, and milk letdown. Won't make her produce any more milk.

sounds like just super thick chrostrum to me.given time it should thin some.id check all 4 of her teats.an see if they was all thick.you might try milking them out.to see if it gets better.is her bagg swelled up tight an full of cake.

Thinner this last time, and a little more. Tried letting her nuzzle the calf while I milked, hoping it would make her milk let down more. Kicking is subsiding. Fortunately it's warm out. The calf will get a belly full before tonight, even if it is replacer, but she's getting what mama will give until then.

Mama is letting the calf suck? Get out of the way and leave them alone. That calf may not get a lot at one time but you can't judge the amount of milk by the size of the udder. That little rascal will suck off and on all night and will probalby be jumping in the morning.

TexasBred":2axgi534 said:
Mama is letting the calf suck?

Finally. She kicked her away all day, but the calf learned to go between the legs from behind about noon. Kept them penned and left them until 3. Calf was hanging on even with an occasional leg bump from mama, so they are out in the pasture.

Just a side note, (for next time maybe) if there is any question as to the quality or quantity of colostrum, I would not hesitate to give pkg colostrum. The good stuff is very good. That way there is no question as to whether or not calf at least got what it needed.

Latest posts