Heifer calf with bloody diarrhea

Help Support CattleToday:

dbh64

Reaction score
We are treating a heifer for a friend and she has had the worst case of bloody diarrhea. the vet thinks its caused by sulphur drugs and the banamine we have been giving to her. We treated her for coccidia also. Anyone have suggestions on the cause. Ulcers???

Need a little more information. How old, what kind of feed, any temperature, how long has this been occurring.

Ok, the vet already gave you the cause. Banamine is very potent at causing ulcers, sulfas can also cause problems. Now what is it you don't get?

Vicki, flying off on her broomstick.....

Vicky the vet":1zhyw8pt said:
Ok, the vet already gave you the cause. Banamine is very potent at causing ulcers, sulfas can also cause problems. Now what is it you don't get?

Vicki, flying off on her broomstick.....

I hope you got the model with the good gas milage Vicki! :lol:

i agree with edb here....how old is the heifer? are there any other problems? is the blood dark (blackish) or bright red? that can give you an idea of where in the G I tract the bleed is occuring....dark is in the stomach or small intestine, bright red is usually from the colon or rectum.

hit send too soon....banamine/sulfa would tend to make a bleed high up in the G I tract and should not show bright red blood....bright red could be something like an intussception (sp?) where the bowel has folded over itself and is truly life threatening....talk at your vet a lot more, especially if you really care about this animal.