Heifer bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

tex452

Reaction score
1/2 long horn 1/2 red angus
I have another one that 1/4 corriente n 3/4 angus.
Been thinking about keeping for heifer bulls.
I hate calving problems. With hrs we work it's h to keep a constant check on them.
Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 427C1D64-A535-4234-8379-DCBAE237B5D3.MOV
    9 MB
I hate calving problems. With hrs we work it's h to keep a constant check on them.
Any thoughts?
Charlton Cattle Company up in Alberta does well selling Angus Longhorn hybrids as heifer bulls. Although I think they are only like 1/8 longhorn, just enough to keep birth weight down and calving ease up.

I like the looks of your bull. If he works in your environment then I say go for it. How old is he?

You will get a lot of differing opinions on it. I am usually an advocate for a CE Angus bull for heifers. That being said I can't fault the idea of a longhorn or corriente bull. in terms of getting a live calf on the ground easily and the heifer not being as stressed due to a smaller calf should breed back quickly.
The only problem that I see is when marketing those heifers calves is they are going to be smaller and lighter then too. For what it's worth I have a longhorn Angus cross bull that I am considering holding back too.

You will get a lot of differing opinions on it. I am usually an advocate for a CE Angus bull for heifers. That being said I can't fault the idea of a longhorn or corriente bull. in terms of getting a live calf on the ground easily and the heifer not being as stressed due to a smaller calf should breed back quickly.
The only problem that I see is when marketing those heifers calves is they are going to be smaller and lighter then too. For what it's worth I have a longhorn Angus cross bull that I am considering holding back too.
My thoughts exactly
Get a live calf on the ground and put them with the herd bull

Any thoughts?
He's a good looking calf. If he keeps growing out well for you I would say he would sire some nice made calves, but the dock would be pretty high in my area for the longhorn marked calves. It might not be as bad in your area tho. I understand wanting peace of mind at calving time when you can't be there as much. I like his daddy too.

I keep one bull specifically for heifers that I bought from Judd Ranch. Throws tiny calves. So far the results have been worth it as I've had no problems with calving heifers in a few years now. They don't make as much come sale time due to being smaller, but it has set my heifers up for success in the following calving cycles when I breed them to the main bull. Peace of mind and reduction in stress level has been worth it (mostly).

Never forget about hererosis that occurs in the uterus and after they are born. If the heifers carry a lot of BW in their pedigree it is not always a slam dunk.

If a heifer cant calve to a LBW Angus bull I dont want to own it. I'll shut it down and go fishing before I take the beating on LH or Correite X calves.
Yep.....and I bet you can buy a really good bull soon with the " Drought" effect this year that will be a way better choice in the long run than a mixed breed mutt"

Yep.....and I bet you can buy a really good bull soon with the " Drought" effect this year that will be a way better choice in the long run than a mixed breed mutt"
I just saw a great one. Guy used him 2 seasons, had his calves there, didnt need him any more. Not a big bull either. Smoking deal IMO.

You know I might start looking for a couple of little bulls in a month or so. I bet I can make more money on two grass mowers with balls than I can on goats or heifers.....

Any thoughts?
What breed are your cows? If they are grade...cross breeds... then using a mixed=breed bull isn't wise. Half of the calves sired by the LH x Angus will be LH calves, and half will be Angus. Potentially , that is. The bull may produce a gazillion sperm, and half a gazillion of them will be LH chromosones and a half gazillion will be Angus If the cows are mixed-breeds too, then no telling what the calves will be.

My thoughts exactly
Get a live calf on the ground and put them with the herd bull
I have used purebred longhorn on heifers as well as beef booster, ce angus bulls like the 1/2 breed calves best.
2 calves is 1/2 LH left, right angus cows purebred calf.

big group back 3 calves

beef booster heifer bull, longhorn bull, normal angus calf

left to right all same age within a week. Hybrid longhorn calves wean very similar to rest of main cow herd, beef booster calves wild stupid things and around 100-150 pounds smaller at weaning.

I use solid longhorn bull 3 generations minimum on both sides solid coloured to avoid genetic throwback.

little guy with while tail only color I ever had mother is Hereford/ simmental cross

Attachments

• F01E1FF7-A109-4435-802A-DF76F9246205.jpeg
    F01E1FF7-A109-4435-802A-DF76F9246205.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • A27C356C-FFD5-43EE-B34A-D279494D52C6.jpeg
    A27C356C-FFD5-43EE-B34A-D279494D52C6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7

Latest posts