Heifer bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

We have always infested in reg low EPD angus bull......but dang, it hurts when you pay out a ton of money and the dang thing breaks his unit after a couple weeks.. happens more than i can recall. This year, we found some wagyu bulls. They need some growing, but both were fertile so we put them on the heifers. Only time will tell. A neighbor bought some heifers from us and i just passed his pasture and saw some longhorn bulls in there. I also saw a calf.. need to get with him and see if that came from one of our heifers, he's added a few of his to the bunch. We luted all our heifers last year, so it would be nice to know if it failed or not..

What breed are your cows? If they are grade...cross breeds... then using a mixed=breed bull isn't wise. Half of the calves sired by the LH x Angus will be LH calves, and half will be Angus. Potentially , that is. The bull may produce a gazillion sperm, and half a gazillion of them will be LH chromosones and a half gazillion will be Angus If the cows are mixed-breeds too, then no telling what the calves will be.
We buy and sell different sets of heifers right now I have a red angus (son to the herd bull shown) on some black baldie heifers. We have a pen of brafords that will be next
It depends on what we make a deal on.

He's a good looking calf. If he keeps growing out well for you I would say he would sire some nice made calves, but the dock would be pretty high in my area for the longhorn marked calves. It might not be as bad in your area tho. I understand wanting peace of mind at calving time when you can't be there as much. I like his daddy too.
I have his brother in the lot now with woody tongue. He was almost as good just a little weaker in the hind end.

Have you considered using a good Dexter bull on your heifers? They don't all carry a dwarfing gene and there are some polled ones available these days. (I can hear a lot of throat clearing in the background, LOL.) Don't dismiss the idea. Just do your homework and go with a reputable breeder.

Bill she looks great and the calf is just, I can't believe he is part Hereford and part Longhorn. What do you think that calf weights?
I'm guessing him around 600 give or take. Her mother has had one calf that took after the longhorn both in color pattern and body type. Most of the time though her calves are conservatively marked even from Herefords and fairly thick. Some have expressed the lankiness of longhorn for awhile between weaning and yearling. This black heifer went through that stage.

I have been 100% longhorn, but purchased 7 or 8 red angus heifers this spring. We're going to put a Longhorn bull on them in the fall. I have not had to pull a calf in over 5 years. All of our cows calve in the pasture. We market most of our steers as freezer beef, so hoping that the crossbreds will grow a little faster, but we can still promote longhorn beef. I'm also thinking about putting a beef bull on some Longhorn cows. I've had some 100% longhorn calves the past couple years that were solid colored, and if they didn't have horns you'd swear they were 100% beef.

1/2 long horn 1/2 red angus
I have another one that 1/4 corriente n 3/4 angus.
Been thinking about keeping for heifer bulls.
I hate calving problems. With hrs we work it's h to keep a constant check on them.
Any thoughts?
This is the 1/2 brother 1/4 corriente 3/4 angus

Attachments

• 350BC858-7E1C-423B-8236-576DD7BC1257.jpeg
    350BC858-7E1C-423B-8236-576DD7BC1257.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10
Here is a crossbred heifer we raised. When she was ready to breed I kicked the gate open and said good luck and out with the herd bull she went... no special treatment. This is her first calf at around 4-5mo. It sold like a hot cake and she hasn't missed a lick since. She has even produced a few keepers.
20210627_141746.jpg

I have been 100% longhorn, but purchased 7 or 8 red angus heifers this spring. We're going to put a Longhorn bull on them in the fall. I have not had to pull a calf in over 5 years. All of our cows calve in the pasture. We market most of our steers as freezer beef, so hoping that the crossbreds will grow a little faster, but we can still promote longhorn beef. I'm also thinking about putting a beef bull on some Longhorn cows. I've had some 100% longhorn calves the past couple years that were solid colored, and if they didn't have horns you'd swear they were 100% beef.
The most profitable cows I ever had were Criollo... Longhorn. Corriente, Piney Woods, Fla Cracker, and various crossses of these. Late 90's or so, teampenning took off like wildfire around here. I had about 100 or so Criollo cows..to raise roping steers from, and I decided to breed them to reg Angus ( heifers) and reg Brangus( mature cows) bulls. I needed polled and uniform color, and these cows produced black polled calves. You couldn't tell them from other grade, black beef cattle, except that at weaning, they'd be as tall as their mommas! And when you went to sell them, they'd bring the same price as other Angus sired beef cattle. Those cows were cheap back then, too. About $200-$300. In the past decade or so, I have noticed people breeding for black Corrientes, and those cows and bulls bring twice what the traditional colored ones do, because people want them for crossing with beef cattle. Heat, cold, and drought tolerant...insect, parasite, and disease resistant, and trouble-free calving. And, 3 of them will get fat on marginal pasture that 1 Charlolais or Simmental cow would starve to death on. I myself never kept any of these cross-bred heifers log enough to raise claves off of. but according to the pics posted here, others have and they make exceptional brood cows.

We buy and sell different sets of heifers right now I have a red angus (son to the herd bull shown) on some black baldie heifers. We have a pen of brafords that will be next
It depends on what we make a deal on.
How many Braford heifers? And how old? Are you going to breed them to sell as bred or as pairs? Or would you want to sell them open? I have a client I need to get about 100 Brafords and/or F1 Brahma X Herefords for. Couldn't use them bred to a red bull, though.

How many Braford heifers? And how old? Are you going to breed them to sell as bred or as pairs? Or would you want to sell them open? I have a client I need to get about 100 Brafords and/or F1 Brahma X Herefords for. Couldn't use them bred to a red bull, though.
We don't have but 4 Brahma x heifers left. The price has gone through the roof for the good braford heifers.

We don't have but 4 Brahma x heifers left. The price has gone through the roof for the good braford heifers.
Yep, and that's when you can find them! I talked this client into getting Braford and F1 Br x Her, but now I am thinking we ought to get Brahmas and Herefords and raise F1 Brafords instead!

We're thinking the same
Have another client that bred about 40 of his Brahmas to a Black Herford bull, and 12 Black Hereford cows to Brahma bulls. They calved the first of February, and he sold all the heifers the week the first ones were born. When he AI'ed the Black Herefords back, he used sexed Brahma semen to get all heifers. He didn't on the Brahma cows, because I dont think he could get sexed Black Hereford semen. He is toying with the idea of going ahead and developing a Black Braford breed. He told me he was going to leave some of the next bull calves uncut, in case he does decide to do it., The F1s can be registered as Golden Certified F1s with the ABBA, but I don't think he could register the Black Brafords with the Braford Association. Last time I talked to him, he was going to start talking with some in the Black Hereford Association to see of they would start a registry. From what I have seen, though, an F1 Braford cow will bring as much or more, commercially, as a registered Braford cow will.

Br bull x Hereford cow will yield bigger calves, especially bull/steer calves, but with him being in south Ga, he'd be better off with Brahma cows and a Black Hereford bull. I think Hereford cows will be more of a hassle than he ( 74 years old) would want to fool with, but the Black Hereford cows eliminate the common udder and eye problems found in red Herefords. but they seem to retain the red Herfords docility and mothering instincts.

Latest posts