Heifer Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

I bred most of my heifers this past year with 2XL Bronc 8153 and CAR Hobson G733. I have used both before with good results

Yes, you told us they were Angus heifers. Some refer to Angus x dairy as "Angus".
How old? What do they weigh? Some people refer to 10 month old as "heifers" - some call 2 year olds never bred "heifers". Some 10 month olds are as big as a 2 year old. We deal with LOTS of different environments, managements and descriptions.
Your statements are too vague to give you much advice.

yes growth fund will work fine on heifers. i would not breed him to smaller framed heifers, they can get too small.. on the right sized heifer they are pretty good

Deer Valley Growth Fund AAA# 18827828
I would find something with a little lower BW EPD for heifers. That's just me.

IMO from my experience and that of fellow breeders I know I would be careful using Growth Fund on heifers. We have used a son EXAR Stock Fund and so far haven't pulled a calf. I pay no attention to BW EPD's when selecting a bull too use on heifers. I prefer a bull has 1-2 calf crops to evaluate. I look at type and actual BW. I want a calf too weigh at least 70 lbs at birth on a heifer. Type is a critical factor. If a calf is long and smooth our heifers will have a 90 lb calf with no issues. I've had to pull short, blocky 70 lb calves. There are other sons working well on heifers. I also used Dow Jones last year. May use CFI Payout on Stock Fund daughters.