Heifer bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Link only takes me to Red Angus search page. Need more info to find him... registration number at the very least.

3590874 (got it)

Yes he has a suitable pedigree for heifers as his sire, the dam's sire and his paternal grandsire all suitable for heifers.

Looks like he could be what was his actual BW? EPD looked to support putting him on heifers.

Actual birthweight is 79 lbs. which is slightly higher than I would prefer but his epds and length make me think he would be fine

strihafarms":1siuijk3 said:
Actual birthweight is 79 lbs. which is slightly higher than I would prefer but his epds and length make me think he would be fine

I'm like you and like to see a little lower BW. But again there is more to a heifer bull than BW's and you really don't know for sure until the bull sires several calves. Type is also important. If the calves come slender and with a narrow head they will likely come easier. Also what was the pasture a bull's mother was on when he was born. I like to share about a bull I helped select for mature cows 4 years ago. His numbers were borderline on him being a calving ease bull but he weighed 86 lbs I believe but his mother was on wheat pasture the whole winter before he was born. I think the seller said the CE was adjusted for his mother being on wheat pasture. This may not be correct. The seller announced that although the numbers were border line that he felt he wasn't a heifer bull and wouldn't want anyone to buy him thinking he was. He was young and we turned him out with a few 2 y/o heifers with calves and then added some heifers after they had been with heifer bulls for 75 days feeling they were likely bred. Not sure what happened but the next spring half of those heifers calved to the bull we purchased. Didn't pull a one. Everyone came easy. This gave us confindence in him and we still haven't pulled a calf sired by him. He got overweight and went lame but still has bred a few. I wish he was sound as I would breed every heifer to him. He just shows that you don't know for sure about a bull until you get several of his calves on the ground.

elkwc":35ydltdd said:
He just shows that you don't know for sure about a bull until you get several of his calves on the ground.
Our current bull we raised here. His actual BW was 78 pounds. Out of 11 calves he sired as a yearling the heaviest was 76 pounds the lightest was 62. So far they are all growing like weeds and have pretty nice rear ends on them. The oldest are only 8 weeks so only time will tell what they will be like at weaning

This bull is no purpose bred heifer bull just going by this Calving Ease and birth Weight EPDs. The average Ce index is a +5 on the latest Red Angus sire summary for active sires- a little above average. This birth weight EPD is -1.0 and this is higher than the average Birth Weight EPD at -1.6 for activre sires on the summary. Note that the Red Angus Association makes sure the average bull has a negative birth weight EPD relative to 0 but not the average animal . So buyer beware on assuming a negative birth weight EPD means a bulls is a calving ease prospect. See this link to verify this:http://redangus.org/genetics/epd-averages. The rest of the bulls EPDs suggest he is a spread bull with above average growth potential. What were his performance ratios and weights like?
The popular Bull LSF conqueror shows a true calving ease profile: http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 36&lang=EN
Hope this helps.

Latest posts