Heifer Bull Question

Help Support CattleToday:

rockroadseminole

Reaction score
I've combed through several threads and couldn't find the answer I was looking for.

Considering purchasing some replacement heifers and wondering if my new bulls will work on them. I bought them to put on my 3 year old cows, but think they should be fine for heifers (however, up to this point I've never owned a bred heifer). The bulls are two red Gelbvieh first year sires and a red 75% Gel Balancer on his third tour of duty. The rookies each had birth weights of 73 and 81 pounds (their sires were both in the mid 70s). The senior bull on staff seems to drop calves in the 75 to 85 neighborhood.

Would you hesitate to use these bulls on 14 month old red angus heifers? Thanks in advance for any input!

As with any heifers, if I was going to use a bull that I had any questions about I would have a pelvic done on them. At around 12 months, a pelvic of 161 or higher and I wouldn;t worry. Below that I might be a bit concerned, if lower then 157-158 I wouldn;'t do it. Those are just my preferences, there will be others that will have different answers. But we haven;t had to pull a calf in a good number of years so I'm a big believer in pelvic measurements.

Latest posts