Heifer bull prospect?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
This a 5 month old calf out of a 2 yr old first calf heifer. Both parents and grandparents are early and slick shedders so figuring he will loose that brown by next spring.
His dam is a calf from one of our old cows that was a regular producer.
8DF3B5C9-D2C5-4E31-B6CC-0BE3ACC88D92.jpeg84F11CFD-63A4-427C-90B1-B421FB39787A.jpeg

He looks good. What is his BW? and Dam's BW? BW in your own environment will help you answer your question about using on heifers.
As far as his phenotype, his long (not wide) face is a plus. He has nice flat shoulders. To me, he "appears" to be the right type to use on heifers - if you only have phenotype to go by.

This a 5 month old calf out of a 2 yr old first calf heifer. Both parents and grandparents are early and slick shedders so figuring he will loose that brown by next spring.
View attachment 19348View attachment 19349
Genetics aside, the brown (reddish) coloring may be a lack of iodine indication.
Personally I think he is worth more on the rail than for tail.

The reddish color is quite common. Not an issue at all to me. I have lots of them. "IF" you have a herd of cows with reddish tinge - then I would worry about lack of proper nutrients. And I think it is lack of copper that causes the reddish tinge.

The reddish color is quite common. Not an issue at all to me. I have lots of them. "IF" you have a herd of cows with reddish tinge - then I would worry about lack of proper nutrients. And I think it is lack of copper that causes the reddish tinge.
Thanks Jeanne SV! I said iodine and was thinking copper. I was multitasking at walking and chewing gum! LVR

He looks good. What is his BW? and Dam's BW? BW in your own environment will help you answer your question about using on heifers.
As far as his phenotype, his long (not wide) face is a plus. He has nice flat shoulders. To me, he "appears" to be the right type to use on heifers - if you only have phenotype to go by.
His sire's calves including him were very small even for first calf heifers. We don't weigh calves Several of them were born in winter weather, and I carried a couple to the house to warm up, this one included. Perhaps a little more than a 50 feed sack but close. His sire is very moderate framed, a little too much so, but his calves are consistent and the heifers look to be very nice though still young. My thinking was that maybe a son from a cow with a little more frame might be good.

Several of the calves in that group have that brown hair, In that first calf heifer field the females do not have that brown hair and are slick with the exception of one. In the other group which is older cows, neither they nor their calves have that kind of hair coat. It could very well be something nutritional or a mineral deficiency. Maybe the heifers are not milking as well as they did at first and we have held them in a pasture longer than wanted to give another some time to grow, during a dry period. They have had access to the same mineral,

View attachment 19348View attachment 19349
I can't get there from here. Besides the feminine head he has a lack of muscle going down into the hock. I wouldn't expect him to throw calves with good conformation unless the cow could overcome what he brings to the table.

@Travlr that was my reasoning for making the post to get others ideas. This one does not impress me greatly as an individual either, but we like to keep a spare or two around just in case they are needed. Will likely steer him the next time they are up.
I'm a pretty hard critic of my cattle, he had some things going for him as far as the cows in his background on both sides and he is black is why he made consideration this far.

@Travlr that was my reasoning for making the post to get others ideas. This one does not impress me greatly as an individual either, but we like to keep a spare or two around just in case they are needed. Will likely steer him the next time they are up.
I'm a pretty hard critic of my cattle, he had some things going for him as far as the cows in his background on both sides and he is black is why he made consideration this far.
Well I've had a very hard time getting honest opinions from people when they are asked, even from strangers. I took a chance in expressing an honest opinion so I really appreciate that you weren't offended or defensive. That is rare too, and something to be appreciated. So thank you for that.

I agree with Travlr - but you weren't asking what we thought about the bull - only if he was a heifer bull prospect.
I guess I did word it in a vague way. A lot of folks will give an opinion regardless.
I'm a hard critic of my own and been at a lot of different angles on heifer bulls. Sometimes the thought of a Longhorn or Jersey cross cow freshener sounds good, then sometimes average Angus heifer bull seems the way to go.

Well I've had a very hard time getting honest opinions from people when they are asked, even from strangers. I took a chance in expressing an honest opinion so I really appreciate that you weren't offended or defensive. That is rare too, and something to be appreciated. So thank you for that.
I've been at this cattle thing for quite a while, but admittedly I'm still learning, and I realize that there is still much I don't know. I have an idea in my head of what I want in a cow or bull. Sometimes I will miss something.
On here there are a lot of folks that have great eyes and heads full of knowledge about cattle. I know there isn't a perfect animal, but some do come a lot closer than others, and honest constructive criticism and explanations are helpful.
If somebody says this or that is awful or bad quality, those statements make a point, and it's duly noted, but I really do appreciate when people explain reasons. That gives something to look for and compare against in the future.
I usually don't get offended easily, unless somebody is just flat out coming across as hateful, or disrespectful.

Latest posts