Heifer bull mature weight

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
Today was 19 days post ai on my heifers. Had several in heat this evening. Bull was in heaven as you can imagine. I saw him service a couple of them fine, but a couple other are having a hard time standing for him. (Doesn't help he is a very aggressive breeder) has me worried about injuring one of them. He weighed 2020 lbs 2 weeks ago as a 4.5 year old, he is not fat. I would call him skinny before fat. I spent a large wad on this bull thinking I could quit aiing without loosing calf performance. (Ced of 16, yw in the 130's angus)
His numbers seem to be pretty accurate, his calves come easy and grow as good as anything on the farm.
I typically only save 20-25 heifers per year.
Do I just keep him out there and not worry about it?
Start buying a new heifer bull every year and selling before they get that big?
Use a different breed that doesn't get so big?
Aiing a second time is not an option, not enough time for that.
Thanks for any advice

It's just a judgement call in my opinion, some bulls are harder on them than others, if it were me I would probably let it ride out this year at least as long as the heifers aren't showing injuries. It gets to running into money when having to buy bulls every year or two. I have had a few heifers over the years to limp around a day or two after an older bull has bred them, and I worried that some might get seriously hurt or broke down, but they always seemed to be ok soon after.

We expect our second callers to support a 2300lbs bull... Our first timers will be bred by a smaller bull... Probably around 1600lbs? I don't think it will be an issue...

Latest posts