Heifer AI Percentage

Help Support CattleToday:

Jake

Reaction score
Thought we were done with the first group of AI bred heifers a couple days before the due date, turns out two more decided to add to the total. There were more opens than I would have liked but that's part of having a 42 day breeding window. We used two rounds of prostaglandin to sync this year instead of using CIDRs. Here was the breakdown
33 bred
6 opens
24 calved AI

So 73% conception on the total and of the heifers that didn't hit the feedlot we hit on 89%.

Have another 18 to go yet that will start in another week or so. Will be interesting to see how they turn out. Our total opens was 16% which I feel is pretty much on par with what we've seen using a shorter season on the replacements. What that has done is gotten our cowherd to under 5% open rate.

Are you AIing once then clean up bull or using AI all the way?
Either way I think it's a great way to figure and keep the most fertile.
With the 42 days should be 3 heats on most of them there about, but with 2 rounds of PG the ones that get it 10 days later kinda come up short on number of chances.

bse":2vowb379 said:
Are you AIing once then clean up bull or using AI all the way?
Either way I think it's a great way to figure and keep the most fertile.
With the 42 days should be 3 heats on most of them there about, but with 2 rounds of PG the ones that get it 10 days later kinda come up short on number of chances.
Ai then bull. The ones that we miss the first heat and get bred the second go round do get shorted on opportunities. But it's their own damn fault.

Man that's awesome. AIed 21 heifers last spring using the 7 day protocol with CIDRs. 10 took the AI. Of the other 10, 5 have calved and the other 5 look close. They'll prob all be within 60 day calving window.

Sav mustang
Sav seedstock
Sav pedigree

Wouldn't use seedstock on heifers again but the semen was free. Pedigree would be ok on bigger heifers.

Jake":1031tod8 said:
Sav mustang
Sav seedstock
Sav pedigree

Wouldn't use seedstock on heifers again but the semen was free. Pedigree would be ok on bigger heifers.
Nice call on mustang. Really have liked the calves I've seen out of him

We have 20+ daughters/ granddaughters we are calving out now and have another 30 next year. They sure seem to be nice females.

Latest posts