Heifer Again...

Help Support CattleToday:

K2011

Reaction score
Ok if yall remember the heifer we lost and I said nothing has really touched her....well it has been almost exactly one week since I last "looked" at her and now she is COMPLETLY GONE! I mean when we drove up we thought someone had hauled her off...but about 10yrds or so there was her skull across the fence and absolutly no hide what so ever was left on it...looks like you could just hang it in the barn...no hide hardly any bones (they have all been scattered I suppose, we only saw a few but we really wheren't looking for every little piece lol) but wow I've never seen something(s) tear a cow apart so fast and so "clean" (no hide, etc. left over and nothing laying in the spot she was in)

Hogs?

I lost one just before yours. It took almost a week before the buzzards started working it over. The hide and bones are still their. On occasion, usually shredding pasture, I run across a leg bone or a part with nothing missing in my herd. Pretty sure a couple have been hog bones. Last year I hand an old cow just disappear. No buzzards and no skeleton found. My guess is hogs are finding the carcus and carrying it off with them. The old cow still puzzles me a bit. Kind of large to carry the whole thing off, but so far I haven't found a thing. Dead baby calves I can understand. Coyotes can move them pretty easy.

1982vett":27uysi2q said:
Hogs?

I lost one just before yours. It took almost a week before the buzzards started working it over. The hide and bones are still their. On occasion, usually shredding pasture, I run across a leg bone or a part with nothing missing in my herd. Pretty sure a couple have been hog bones. Last year I hand an old cow just disappear. No buzzards and no skeleton found. My guess is hogs are finding the carcus and carrying it off with them. The old cow still puzzles me a bit. Kind of large to carry the whole thing off, but so far I haven't found a thing. Dead baby calves I can understand. Coyotes can move them pretty easy.

We have just simply lost one of our cows too....except she has been gone for about a year now and I can't even remember the last time I saw her and she was one of our biggest cows and like you said no bones or anything...but we have never really had any problems with hogs at all infact we haven't seen a wild hog in I bet 5yrs or better...but I suppose that doesn't mean that they aren't out there...

K2011":3qewoii7 said:
1982vett":3qewoii7 said:
Hogs?

We have just simply lost one of our cows too....except she has been gone for about a year now and I can't even remember the last time I saw her and she was one of our biggest cows and like you said no bones or anything...but we have never really had any problems with hogs at all infact we haven't seen a wild hog in I bet 5yrs or better...but I suppose that doesn't mean that they aren't out there...

Sounds like yotes to me. I took a dead calf off into the woods at the back of the property. I came back the next day and everything was gone but the skull. I know there are yotes around. I would say they got it. If it was buzzards they would have left some of it around.

Latest posts