Heifer 4 months bred producing small amount of milk

Help Support CattleToday:

CarolynFletcher

Reaction score
My daughter has a Angus Cross Heifer that she shows in the county fair. She was bred on May 28, 2007. She is producing a very small amount of milk, we would like to know if this is normal?

Thank you for you help ahead of time.

Carolyn
Florida

My daughter was cleaning her udders and her heifer pulled away from her and my daughter sqeezed a nipple and a small amount of milk came out.

I had a coupel do that this year, I would not say it's normal but I have seen it personally. The calves from those heifers hit the ground the other day and they are really giving the milk. one had twins.

Sizmic

I had a couple do that this year, I would not say it's normal but I have seen it personally. The calves from those heifers hit the ground the other day and they are really giving the milk. One had twins.

Sizmic

It's not unusual for them to start bagging up about halfway through gestation, and sometimes fluid can be squeezed from the teats (not a recommended practice, since it predisposes the animal to infection). It wouldn't be "milk" and I wouldn't try drinking it :p, but there may be fluid. It is not overly common as she's so far from calving, but it isn't abnormal either. Wouldn't get too concerned about it.

Here's a heifer that's 5 months bred... they don't usually show this much of an udder as short breds, but even this isn't abnormal.
heiferbaggingup.jpg

BTW, a female bovine has a single udder that consists of four quarters with one teat on each quarter... FYI. ;-)

As usual, MM had the right comments - but, I will repeat - you should not open up a quarter because you break the natural "plug" keeping "bugs" out. I understand it was sort of by "accident" but leave it alone, don't recheck it!

Latest posts