heffer ate plastic

Help Support CattleToday:

Billdevaul

Reaction score
got a lil brahman heffer and I saw her out in the pasture draging a 2 X4 foot piece of black plastic ... I went out to get it and she spooked and ran.. by the time I got her coralled she had consumed the entire thing... what do I do now... never had this prob before.. I think the construction site lost the plastic off a roof but will it pass thru her???

whats the remedi or is there one?

Billdevaul":f9ugwfdw said:
got a lil brahman heffer and I saw her out in the pasture draging a 2 X4 foot piece of black plastic ... I went out to get it and she spooked and ran.. by the time I got her coralled she had consumed the entire thing... what do I do now... never had this prob before.. I think the construction site lost the plastic off a roof but will it pass thru her???

whats the remedi or is there one?
She'll either pass it, or it could pass her. Man down the road lost one to Wal-Mart sack a while back.

Thats right.. some cattle can injest things like that and pass them, while others eat them and die from it. I hate those Walmart sacks...and trash in pastures that people throw out along the roadways. Seems like the young cattle get so curious they have to "taste" them.

Last year we butchered a Holstein heifer that was about 18 months old. She just never was very thrifty and was only about the size of a typical yealring. Found 3 walmart type sacks in her rumen. Don;t know if they were walmart because the markings had all been obliterated, but the sacks, while getting to the point that they were starting to deteriate, were still completely intact.

dun

she's acting completely normal and eating and drinking today, checked on her at 2 am she was grazing, and now shes drinking and feeding at the creep feeder... hope she continues to do ok..... :shock:

one time i had a calf swallow a piece of tarp. but it was nothing that bad. i was ssoo scared he was gonna die b/c hes my baby but he just kept eating and still today he's eating and growin like a weed. so i hope that your calf keeps on eating and growing too.

I had someone dump roofing debris in one of my pastures. I came over a hill and saw a heifer standing on the new pile eating an asphalt shingle! I wsa concerned but it did not seem to hurt her so I guess she just needed more mineral.