Hef. breeding question?

Help Support CattleToday:

Pickles Dillman

Reaction score
I have a first calf hef. that had a calf exactly 16 days ago. Yesterday I saw her being covered and standing solid for the bull. Doesnt it seem a little early for a first timer to be in standing heat? It would be great if she does take, as she is about a month later than the other cows.

If your heifer has had all her nutritional requirements met it's very possible she could be in standing heat in that short of a time and stick. Write down the day she was service and in 18 days start to watch her for signs of estrus. We usually expect our heifers to stick on the second service tho.

She might not settle on this heat even though the bull bred her. A first calver that cycles so soon after calving will probably turn out to be a very fertile easy doing cow for you for years to come.

Yup she's a fertile heifer. She had a easy birth and cleaned right away and well fed. Even if she didn't settle, she will next time.

she may settle on the 1st heat.i had a cow calve last year.an she settled on her 1st heat.so since your heifer is cycling she mayvw settled as well.

As everyone alrealy said, she may or may not get settled on this heat. And you must be doing a good job of management because she wouldn't be cycling this quickly if she wasn't in good rig.
But, if this is a false heat - she may cycle 7-10 days later. Even if she doesn't settle on this heat & she returns to heat in 21 days & settles, that's still only 37 days from calving!

Baldie Maker":107vl5yj said:
If your heifer has had all her nutritional requirements met it's very possible she could be in standing heat in that short of a time and stick. Write down the day she was service and in 18 days start to watch her for signs of estrus. We usually expect our heifers to stick on the second service tho.

As said -- she will probaly not take on this first go round, but you should begin watching her on day 17

Latest posts