HEELO NEW HERE

Help Support CattleToday:

RYS326

Reaction score
MY SONS AND I HAVE A 2YR BREAD HEFFIER ABOUT 4.5 ALONG SHE GOT A PARE STUCK IN TROUGHT NOW SEE SEEM TO HAVE PHENOMIA THE VET CAME AND GOT IT UN STUCK GAVE HER 10ML B COMPLEX , 10MLBANOMINE , 10MLFUROSEMILE AND ALSO GIVING 10ML X5 DAYS PENECELLING TO HER WHEN SHE CAUGH SHE SPIT WATER OUT HER NOSE SHE DONT WANT TO EAT YET ITS BEEN 3 DAY I HAVE HER IN THE DRY DOES ANY ONE KNOW HOW LONG IT WILL TAKE HER TO RECOVER VET JUST GIVE HER ANOTHE 10ML B COMPLEXIS THER ANY THING ELSE I CAN GIVE HER .SORRY ABOUT SPELLING .

Hmm I think I understand, she was stuck in water trough and now has pneumonia?

Day three and she has not ate at all, does she drink water?
Not sounding good, the pen amount you are giving is a dog dosage and might as well be shot into the air also pen does nothing for pneumonia anymore. I am with mike on the nuflor, not exceed or draxxin as nuflor is a broad spectrum antibiotic and the others are just for pneumonia and it sounds like you do not know for sure if it is pneumonia.

Get your vet back out asap or you will not only lose the calf but the cow. Demand stronger drugs than pen.
BTW, B12 is a vitamin and that is it ..........it will help with red blood cells but will not do anything without the proper antibiotics to attack the infection..
10MLFUROSEMILE
I am blocked, what drug is this??

Do you mean furosemide ??

hillsdown":31pu89gh said:
10MLFUROSEMILE
I am blocked, what drug is this??

I'd guess some type of furosamide (I don't think I spelled it right either)... it's like Salix/Lasix. Causes fluid loss and so has an anti-inflammatory effect for some types of inflammation. I think it might have some supportive-therapy properties too, but don't quote me on that. Been a long time since I've used it.

I think this is what happened to the cow. She got a pear stuck in her throat (choke) and now appears to have developed pneumonia.
She isn't eating or drinking.

I would call your vet and tell him what she is doing. Her throat may have been damaged from the pear. Good luck.

chippie":17xydi36 said:
I think this is what happened to the cow. She got a pear stuck in her throat (choke) and now appears to have developed pneumonia.

I would call your vet and tell him what she is doing. Her throat may have been damaged from the pear. Good luck.
This is how I understood it too. Yes, I would call the vet.

chippie":2nrea7zl said:

Great advice. Call the vet back and give him an update. He may want to do more.

thanks for all the help but i lost her last night. they always say you learn frome mistakes and we made one

Sorry to hear that.

I have stopped giving my cows whole apples ever since I read a post on here about a cow choking.

RYS326":3t6wri6x said:
thanks for all the help but i lost her last night. they always say you learn frome mistakes and we made one
Thank you for coming back and letting us know ~ like hillsdown, maybe someone else can learn from your experience. Sorry you lost your cow.

Yes, sorry for the loss. I was "apple guy" and would have lost mine too except someone on this board suggested I had an apple stuck down there. For future reference my vet suggested I gently push a good stiff hose down her throat till it cleared. Took a good 6 feet, but it did the trick.

Sorry you lost her. We see this often on cows cleaning up the sugar beet and/or potato fields. You find them standing/staying in the water and first you suspect it is because she is running a fever, but the cow is actually wishing she could drink. If you watch the cow she will take a big gulp of water, put her head down, and then it all runs back out. Usually, the object gets stuck right where the esophagus meets the rumen. There is a sphincter type muscle there that is used to contain the elements within the rumen and opens to allow more incoming nutrition. It is also sort of a constricting point that tends to catch objects that are just a little larger than the diameter of the esophagus. Blockage here doesn't prevent them from breathing, only swallowing food and water. The cow will die of dehydration in 2 - 4 days if left untreated. We have used a rubber hose. We cut the insertion end off at an angle and then cut the tip off of the angle (so there are no sharp points). We also have used a broom handle on the tougher ones. We put a Frick speculum (aluminum piece of pipe with blunt ends) into her mouth where one end is against the back of her throat and the other is sticking out the mouth. Hold her head up high so her neck/throat is as straight as can be, lube the handle with some OB lube, and slide it in. It goes in easy enough. Once the obstruction is reached it takes just the right amount of pressure to push it on it. Just a little too much pressure and you do mortal damage(the throat swells shut from the damage done). If the rubber hose works, you are usually in the clear. The rumen will do the rest.

Latest posts