Heavy trimming

Help Support CattleToday:

Yep. The custom guy I used for the next similar steer gained me 100 lbs of meat from 80 lbs HW difference. Explain that🙄

On top of all that, the organ package you received was probably from someone else animal after you. He just had to go next door to get it back. Never again will I use a slaughter house that sells meat to the public. Learned my lesson many years ago.
That was the first thing that ran through my mind when I read what he said.

Yep. The custom guy I used for the next similar steer gained me 100 lbs of meat from 80 lbs HW difference. Explain that🙄
Cut a few up and you will find there can be a lot of difference in yield. I have found out over the years! Every body should at least help cut one up to see how very small decisions can effect the yield quite a bit.

Cut a few up and you will find there can be a lot of difference in yield. I have found out over the years! Every body should at least help cut one up to see how very small decisions can effect the yield quite a bit.
Decisions-from cutters? I will be doing a processing course this coming year, primarily for my own knowledge but also so I can better see what is happening.

Decision of both. Cut selection has a big effect on the carcass cut up. I am glad you are taking the course, and I believe you will find it interesting. Just the difference in the amount of kidney fat can have a large impact. Hot weight on the rail has a significant loss before you get to the meat that will go in the pkg.

Decision of both. Cut selection has a big effect on the carcass cut up. I am glad you are taking the course, and I believe you will find it interesting. Just the difference in the amount of kidney fat can have a large impact. Hot weight on the rail has a significant loss before you get to the meat that will go in the pkg.
That's why I get same cuts regardless of who I use. If one has that much yield difference from similar animals, I will be much more desperate before using them in the future. Between last year and this year-6 steers, 3 FB, 3 halfblood, all beef breed, average yield from HW was 64% other than this one. They weren't that dissimilar of animals. Small animal but with small frame-not small animal on large frame.

Did the cuts of beef appear to be the same with this beef? I find it strange that a processor would suddenly decide to take that much meat from one customer. If they take a little bit from all, no one would ever notice.

Did the cuts of beef appear to be the same with this beef? I find it strange that a processor would suddenly decide to take that much meat from one customer. If they take a little bit from all, no one would ever notice.
Yes. The cuts were similar, although the ribeyes were trimmed very close-little external fat, even though the brisket and other cuts had a good cover. Cap strip seemed to be missing also. Hamburger is easy to take-that's the "leftovers" and is variable regarding number per animal. I'll have to see how much ground I got back. About 35lbs if I remember right (70 from the similar steer at other processor). There are rumors around about this processor not giving back all that was brought....I used them because everyone else was full, or the minimum cost couldn't be justified on a small steer.
Their cut sheet has a disclaimer of expected return of 50% of HW, based on animal type. That gives them a lot of leeway legally if a person's typically dresses in the 60's. 10% of an 800lb carcass is easier to hide than 10% of a smaller carcass.

Latest posts