Heavy trimming

Help Support CattleToday:

Ok. I finally got the pictures to load.
That is NOT a very large animal at all. Judging by the size next to the feed trough.
I bet he was 700 to 750 TOPS

Half of 700 is 350.

I dont THINK u were intentionally screwed. All butchers have a different way of doing things, cuts, how its cut, ground, trimmed, etc.

It's a tough call.
I'd feed a full size animal if u need more meat. Sorry

Ok. I finally got the pictures to load.
That is NOT a very large animal at all. Judging by the size next to the feed trough.
I bet he was 700 to 750 TOPS

Half of 700 is 350.

I dont THINK u were intentionally screwed. All butchers have a different way of doing things, cuts, how its cut, ground, trimmed, etc.

It's a tough call.
I'd feed a full size animal if u need more meat. Sorry
I know he was small, the HW isn't what I'm ticked about. I'm more concerned about the 50% dressing %. Maybe I just way overestimated his muscling. Anyway. They did forget my organ meats, thankfully they found them. It's probably all my bad judgement. 50% dressed is pretty low for bone-in cuts though. Lesson learned. As I said, won't be doing a FB again.

Oooo. I thought u said they de-boned him...
Or some cuts anyway.

Yeah. Tough call.
I know it seems like a lot of effort for little. Bottom line tho, if ya ain't happy, I'd go back to my regular butcher.
Just the strips (which were supposed to be bone in). Anyway. They had a shot. Thankfully got spots with the regular guy coming up.

The last place I had one done screwed up so bad!! And they wouldn't do anything about it even after admitting to screwing it up!
We took 5 animals.

I told them very specifically which half of what animal is mine. Even went so far as to explain, I only own half of that exact animal.
The ONLY one with a blue tag.

Evidently 2 others thought the same thing.
Because they had 3 cut sheets for that animal. Never even called me about it. I ended up with the big grass fed heifer that wasnt even part of our animals. And it was cut all wrong.

Pissed was an understatement! Especially after buying feed for an animal that someone else got to enjoy!

I'll never darken their door step again and I tell others the same.

Being that small, there's a good chance its not going to yield the same percentage that a larger heavier muscled animal does. I suspect you got everything there was to get.
Once I get the spare parts, I will. Aberdeen have good muscling despite small frame. But....

I have no experience in the smaller cattle, but from what I've read in the past their take home yield is usually closer to 50% of the HW. Again, just what I've read. I would assume that's because their skeletal weight is a higher percentage of their total weight compared to a "normal" size animal that most charts are based off of. Of course not trying to make excuses for anyone, but it doesn't seem like they did anything intentional.

Processors.
Our last beef I asked for the top round into steaks and the bottom round cubed. Simple enough, right?
What we got was no round steak and the top round was cubed.....cut into CUBES...and labeled canning meat. When I called them about it, they said they call it steak "minute steak" so they cubed all the top round.😲
Then the bottom round is all into rump roast. Good thing this meat is REALLY good, or I would not have been so nice. I can take the 'cubes' and pound them myself to make minute steaks...I guess...geez.
I would be more than a little upset about their definition of 'cubed' as well. How small were the 'cubes'?

I've never seen or heard of a cubed steak being called a 'minute steak' in the southern or southwestern part of the USA.
Do you live 'up Nawth' ?

I would be more than a little upset about their definition of 'cubed' as well. How small were the 'cubes'?

I've never seen or heard of a cubed steak being called a 'minute steak' in the southern or southwestern part of the USA.
Do you live 'up Nawth' ?
I do. But the processor was in Iowa. I thought it was very strange. I asked for the bottom round to be 'cubed' and the top round cut 3/4" thick. So they 'cubed' the top round and left the bottom round as rump roast. So they screwed it up totally. But the meat is so good, I'm not going to complain. I should have told them to make as many steaks as possible, but I didn't. We have never gotten meat from Iowa before and never used this processor before either. It's okay the meat is terrific. I can tenderize the 'cubes' myself. Oh, and the 'cubes' are labeled canning meat.

Just wanted to throw in an update-took a similar animal to a different butcher (custom guy) 2 weeks ago-picked up meat today. Same breed, same age, same finish amount /feed program (or close). I got a live weight this time-10 miles from home scale showed 790 (again, small breed)-full gut fill, nothing held before loading. HW was 380-about 50% assuming 30 lb gut fill lost overnight in holding. Picked up 260 lbs today-without cheeks and kidney that were included in other animal's final weight. 68% dressing vs 50%, same cuts, other than sirloin was deboned on recent. So......other place won't see me again. Is it worth making a complaint somewhere since the other is USDA?

Attachments

• 0D804FB1-0885-4500-B0E9-B0E5F65DD756.jpeg
    0D804FB1-0885-4500-B0E9-B0E5F65DD756.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
  • E78653C2-8868-4EAB-A11E-9544D52BBABB.jpeg
    E78653C2-8868-4EAB-A11E-9544D52BBABB.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
Just wanted to throw in an update-took a similar animal to a different butcher (custom guy) 2 weeks ago-picked up meat today. Same breed, same age, same finish amount /feed program (or close). I got a live weight this time-10 miles from home scale showed 790 (again, small breed)-full gut fill, nothing held before loading. HW was 380-about 50% assuming 30 lb gut fill lost overnight in holding. Picked up 260 lbs today-without cheeks and kidney that were included in other animal's final weight. 68% dressing vs 50%, same cuts, other than sirloin was deboned on recent. So......other place won't see me again. Is it worth making a complaint somewhere since the other is USDA?

They will laugh out loud if you complain. No two animals are identical when you take the hide off. Similar breed ,feeding and size is very vague for an accurate comparison. IF it were done on the same day it would have helped the case. I have had some surprises over the years when I saw a couple of my ''good'' home raised cattle went on the hook and through the saw. Looks can be somewhat deceiving.

I figure hanging weight to be 55 to 65% of live weight. And I figure take home to be 50 to 65 percent of hanging weight. All depending on the condition of the animal and the way it is broken down/cut.

This is why I only have full size animals processed. Gimme that 800 lb hanging weight.

The whole industry is set up on bullshit. Has to be so complicated to skirt around red tape. Red tape that shouldn't be there anyways.

I figure hanging weight to be 55 to 65% of live weight. And I figure take home to be 50 to 65 percent of hanging weight.
40% loss from live weight has always been the rule of thumb and 40%-50% the norm of take home from HW. At least that was what I was taught at beef seminars and personal experience (depending how much organ meat and how I wanted it trimmed)

40% loss from live weight has always been the rule of thumb and 40%-50% the norm of take home from HW. At least that was what I was taught at beef seminars and personal experience (depending how much organ meat and how I wanted it trimmed)
I simply Google'd industry averages. I don't have a scale yet. So industry averages/standards is all I've got.

We really do all need to have a scale.

The last place I had one done screwed up so bad!! And they wouldn't do anything about it even after admitting to screwing it up!
We took 5 animals.

I told them very specifically which half of what animal is mine. Even went so far as to explain, I only own half of that exact animal.
The ONLY one with a blue tag.

Evidently 2 others thought the same thing.
Because they had 3 cut sheets for that animal. Never even called me about it. I ended up with the big grass fed heifer that wasnt even part of our animals. And it was cut all wrong.

Pissed was an understatement! Especially after buying feed for an animal that someone else got to enjoy!

I'll never darken their door step again and I tell others the same.
If your processor gave you someone else's beef he should have his license pulled. Thats illegal in my state.

Latest posts