Heavy trimming

Help Support CattleToday:

Hpacres440p

Reaction score
Other than not using again, what do you do when the processor screws up your steer? Took all of the "off" pieces (tongue, tail, etc), trimmed everything so thin the ribeyes look like pork chops. Steer wasn't fat-finished, but no difference in cover from prior animals. Decided to use a different usda processor due to new minimum fees at one I used last year. Small beef steer, 22 months old. 47% carcass yield-don't even ask about live weight percentage. 😡

Attachments

• 84B80407-7864-4D3C-B7AB-B3741BCC9C41.jpeg
    84B80407-7864-4D3C-B7AB-B3741BCC9C41.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 59
I think you have a right to demand a big discount in what they did actually do. They should pay you for what they took. The tongue and tails are items of value in certain markets. This is one of the biggest reasons I process my own deer and have second thoughts about all processors. I've not processed my own beef but I've had enough of these shenanigans' on deer to leave me bitter. Beef is too big for me to process on my own, though.

How was the live weight percentage?
This is where I (and many of us) are our own worst enemy-no scale, they don't have a live scale either. It was 50% (at best), based on comparable animal from last year. I took home 50% of HW. Beef animal. Owner "found" our organ meats box, had boned-out some of the cuts, and either trimmed the heck out of any external fat or that was the leanest steer I've ever seen. He's delivering our "found" box tomorrow, I'm going to show him what his staff turns out...

Hp440.>Do they also sell meat by the cut to their own customers? Keep us posted please. I have had experience with processors
who were better at subtraction than division! LVR

The more I think about, the more irritated I get. If he would have been 1500 lbs, I would have ended up with 375 lbs of bone-in meat and ground😡

I may not entirely follow, how do you know you didn't get enough?
As far as too much being trimmed, it can be tough to tell sometimes. The only steaks that have external fat cover trimmed are the t bones and porterhouse. And maybe sirloins if you have them cut into steaks. Rib steaks, flat irons and others are internal cuts. And some animals just don't build fat where we want it. Last one I fed looked decent on the hoof, but had the most pitiful ribeyes I've ever seen. Small and very little fat. I'd have been pizzed at the butcher except it was me.

I may not entirely follow, how do you know you didn't get enough?
As far as too much being trimmed, it can be tough to tell sometimes. The only steaks that have external fat cover trimmed are the t bones and porterhouse. And maybe sirloins if you have them cut into steaks. Rib steaks, flat irons and others are internal cuts. And some animals just don't build fat where we want it. Last one I fed looked decent on the hoof, but had the most pitiful ribeyes I've ever seen. Small and very little fat. I'd have been pizzed at the butcher except it was me.
This is the ribeye-decent size for the steer it came from, but do you see the low end? Looks very closely trimmed. The brisket deckle is square cut too. I KNOW they forgot to give me my organ meats-they're delivering to me tomorrow. I can't prove there is meat missing. Their cut sheet, however, states "typical meat return is 50% of carcass weight depending on breed". I got exactly 50% back, on a small-framed beef steer (pic below about 2 weeks before processing and earlier this spring). Same composition calf last year at a different processor was 67% of HW.
So...I'll show the owner what the cuts look like that I got back, take my organ meats, and ask him if there may have been something condemned by the inspector that can explain the trim pattern. I'm aware of perception vs reality on dressout, but 50% of 50% is kinda hard to swallow. If that's true dressout, I'll pick different genetics for feeding next year.

Attachments

• 22B0CEFD-DAFA-44AE-93C9-C8495AB08D7A.jpeg
    22B0CEFD-DAFA-44AE-93C9-C8495AB08D7A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • 8CAC73E1-3668-4A7B-92FA-97DA350B748B.jpeg
    8CAC73E1-3668-4A7B-92FA-97DA350B748B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 48
  • E489F74A-AEBC-436E-A1DD-C46F32FB8229.jpeg
    E489F74A-AEBC-436E-A1DD-C46F32FB8229.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 78D3E323-708D-40A3-B2D7-E732F384E322.jpeg
    78D3E323-708D-40A3-B2D7-E732F384E322.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 49
If you do not have a certified scale you do not have a leg to stand on. Enjoy your meal and count your blessings.

So what was the actual hanging weight?
I'm almost embarrassed-I will qualify this as it was a FB Aberdeen steer that I should have passed on, but bought at 10 months old, he didn't get much bigger. 338 hanging. You do the math. 😡. I won't buy another FB for beef again. They taste great, super marbling and tender pretty much on grass, but when kill Fee is up to $100, might as well get a carcass out of it. I fed about 5 lbs sweet feed a day for past 90 days. Got the beef sold to at least cover costs, but very little profit. The halfbloods will at least go about 450-500, usually, with decent yield due to smaller frame.

Processors.
Our last beef I asked for the top round into steaks and the bottom round cubed. Simple enough, right?
What we got was no round steak and the top round was cubed.....cut into CUBES...and labeled canning meat. When I called them about it, they said they call it steak "minute steak" so they cubed all the top round.😲
Then the bottom round is all into rump roast. Good thing this meat is REALLY good, or I would not have been so nice. I can take the 'cubes' and pound them myself to make minute steaks...I guess...geez.

Processors.
Our last beef I asked for the top round into steaks and the bottom round cubed. Simple enough, right?
What we got was no round steak and the top round was cubed.....cut into CUBES...and labeled canning meat. When I called them about it, they said they call it steak "minute steak" so they cubed all the top round.😲
Then the bottom round is all into rump roast. Good thing this meat is REALLY good, or I would not have been so nice. I can take the 'cubes' and pound them myself to make minute steaks...I guess...geez.
Well, the owner decided to FedEx my organ meats to me rather than drive an hour up himself. He won't get any of my steers again

Latest posts