Heavy Rains Here

Help Support CattleToday:

I will be feeding hay soon. I'm also 250 rolls of bay behind where I should be for late July.

Bigfoot":1h2c5ge5 said:
I will be feeding hay soon. I'm also 250 rolls of bay behind where I should be for late July.

Everyone over here is behind. Not a good hay year.

We got a 1/2 inch today and a few days ago 9/10 of and inch. Just up the road it is starting to look like a dessert as apparently they didn't get any of it, but still green here.

We got hammered at 330am. Straight line winds 50-70. One gate blown open. All cows accounted for. One fence shorted out, didn't take long to find. I was expecting to find the garden in shambles, but it some how survived with very minor damage. Surrounding towns had lots of trees and limbs down, of course the lead of the pack was soft maples, as always.

That's what happens when a cold front moves in from the north less than 12 hours after hitting 105 with a heat index of 113+

wow... bad deal there.

Like Dun, no rain here for 3 weeks. I opted to NOT cut my fields for hay and graze instead, and now I am glad!
There was enough moisture early on that lots of hay was put up already; I have already secured most of my winter hay, and just found, what looks like, some really good alfalfa rounds put up right, 1300 lbs, 5x5, for $45 a round. I send off the test tomorrow.... likely buy some of that too!
Send that rain this way....

Bigfoot":dmbsxqcm said:

We'd been that way too. 10 miles north and 10 miles south were good, but we were dry. Two weeks ago, we had river bottom corn that was draughted out and ended up under water without ever getting a rain. We finally got an inch last week and 3 last night and this morning. Hope you get a good rain soon Bigfoot.

I really feel for you fellas that are dry, it was horrible here last year. Worst drought in our area since 1917. This year just the opposite, wet, wet, wet. Actually having some problems getting hay cut. I'll take that over drought any day of the week. I am way overstocked and have bushhogged twice already this year, they can't eat it fast enough.

jltrent":uvhosl0g said:
We got a 1/2 inch today and a few days ago 9/10 of and inch. Just up the road it is starting to look like a dessert as apparently they didn't get any of it, but still green here.
I'm 7 miles tops from you and we just got maybe .05 after dark. It's dry but I got lots of grass.

Bigfoot":12cfvwl7 said:
Have you gotten any rain? Saw some over your way on the radar, seems it went all around us.

tom4018":z2rk9ngh said:
Bigfoot":z2rk9ngh said:
Have you gotten any rain? Saw some over your way on the radar, seems it went all around us.

Not in a month. Maybe 6 weeks. Rains that covered the whole radar screen missed me.

Bigfoot":1e09iv78 said:
tom4018":1e09iv78 said:
Bigfoot":1e09iv78 said:

Not in a month. Maybe 6 weeks. Rains that covered the whole radar screen missed me.

It seems we have a dome over us and it goes all around us.

I could see the lightning north of here that night. Over that night, we got maybe a couple tenths of an inch. It is getting dry here too.

I'm with Bigfoot and Tom it's getting good and dry here and it's only adding to my headaches. Got a little breeze that helped with the heat but also helping dry everything up worse.

dun":3tzlfw6e said:
Bigfoot":3tzlfw6e said:
I started today
I've been feedin hay since the 13th it rained 10 miles south of me today dad said it rained for almost 3 hours we got just enough drops to see them on the hood of my truck

TB521":14zgebqu said:
dun":14zgebqu said:
Bigfoot":14zgebqu said:
I started today
I've been feedin hay since the 13th it rained 10 miles south of me today dad said it rained for almost 3 hours we got just enough drops to see them on the hood of my truck

On our way to church Sunday, the highway was wet about 4 miles from the house. We got nothing. This morning, I saw the same thing on my way to work at about the same spot. Wife said she had seen a few drops on the deck, but I think that was just the dogs dripping their water.

I only got 1" a couple weeks ago and it dried up within a day. I have cracks 1" in the pasture. All the native grass is dead. The back of the ranch has coastal, which has held green so that has been my saving grace. Fencing that off this spring with electric was the best investment all year. Cows are all bred and chewing their cuds every day so I dont want them getting fat anyways. I am not feeding anything but if they lose condition there is enough $20 hay around to make it.

I got 3 tenths of pretty slow soaking rain Thursday afternoon, and 2 more tenths this morning the same way. It all seems to have soaked in, as opposed to running off. Perked things up a little bit. Hopefully it bought 2 more weeks. Somebody gave me about 18 acres of hay to cut. It'll be a first cutting for this year. Worthless as anything but filler. I "should" get it from now on, so I'll go in and do a good job of getting it off.

Latest posts