Heavy Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
I have not complained about the dry fall. We had a wet summer. Pastures were still green in August. Last night, it rained. Heavy at times. Suppose to rain heavy today. It is doing that now. I went out in the morning darkness with a light to heat check. Cows standing somber in the rain. Calves laying in the old spots where I move the hay rings. I move the ring each time I drop a Roll to provide bedding in the dry left over hay.

Our winters are wet and muddy. Can be depressing. As I came inside to the dry warm shelter of my abode, it occurred to me that I don't have to do this.

No matter who we are, what we believe, what we do, there is one common denominator for all life - as simple as it sounds, we use up our time and move on.

And with any luck we use up our time doing the things we enjoy

It's amazing, the way the weather has an effect on a man's mood. These nasty old winter (not technically there yet, but it's a winter day today) days have a way of dragging down the spirit.

I've heard it said that you start dying the day you're born, and some people are that way. Myself, I'd rather spend my time living. Margo, you have always struck me as the living type. Hope the rain clouds don't darken your spirit for too long, the sunny spring will be here before we know it.

Always liked his music but I still get pizzed when I think about him killing himself with an over dose of dope!
I guess being successful, having a knock out for a wife and couple of beautiful kids wasn;t enough.

dun":3eryvsro said:
Always liked his music but I still get pizzed when I think about him killing himself with an over dose of dope!
I guess being successful, having a knock out for a wife and couple of beautiful kids wasn;t enough.

Must be a lot of stress in the high performance lifestyles. I was reading about Steve Martin this week. It is amazing how many of his contemporaries died from addictive behavior. He said that he started down that road and had the will to stop. He was very close to John Candy. Said that his death was one of his most darkest hours.

Margonme":2rruwomy said:
dun":2rruwomy said:

Must be a lot of stress in the high performance lifestyles. I was reading about Steve Martin this week. It is amazing how many of his contemporaries died from addictive behavior. He said that he started down that road and had the will to stop. He was very close to John Candy. Said that his death was one of his most darkest hours.

I don't think it's stress. Simply unhappy people that realize that money and fame don't fix that problem.

I thought about the same thing as I slogged the tractor with 2 rolls through the mud yesterday. Rain pouring on me. The hungry hungry hippos all but turning the tractor over. I'm thinking sell all but a handful so I don't have to do this everyday.
Thinking more clearly this morning though. :D

Margonme":3kk371vr said:
dun":3kk371vr said:

It seems like a lot of people who have a high IQ, artistically talented, and open minded have more overdose - personal problems. It's a dang shame that some folks can't ever find what their looking for.
We're miles apart Fenceman, but we had the same thoughts yesterday.

Short days depress me. Mud depresses me. Put em together, and I get really low. I have the same notion every year from now till spring. Sell down to 40 cows and a bull. Quit any fall calving, and bring no calves through the winter. It'd be so much simpler and easier.

callmefence":2fapceos said:
I thought about the same thing as I slogged the tractor with 2 rolls through the mud yesterday. Rain pouring on me. The hungry hungry hippos all but turning the tractor over. I'm thinking sell all but a handful so I don't have to do this everyday.
Thinking more clearly this morning though. :D
When I get those bizarre thoughts I think about what I would do if I didn;t have the cows. That pretty well snaps me out of it.

callmefence":2hptj2c7 said:
Margonme":2hptj2c7 said:
dun":2hptj2c7 said:

I don't think it's stress. Simply unhappy people that realize that money and fame don't fix that problem.

Thinking more clearly this morning though. :
D
I use to do my form of "deep thinking" when I would be way off in one of the far away pastures where you hardly ever heard any noise from civilization. As I sweated, separated cows, loaded cows, fed etc. the thought would cross my mind that "Not one soul knows where I am, what I'm doing or if it affects their life in any way. I found it pretty comforting to be in such seclusion with nature in it's finest form.

TexasBred":3gbv81q4 said:
I found it pretty comforting to be in such seclusion with nature in it's finest form.
Wife doesn;t understand it but I feel the same way. You would think after 45 years she would have caught on

Margonme":28kxnnt9 said:
I have not complained about the dry fall. We had a wet summer. Pastures were still green in August. Last night, it rained. Heavy at times. Suppose to rain heavy today. It is doing that now. I went out in the morning darkness with a light to heat check. Cows standing somber in the rain. Calves laying in the old spots where I move the hay rings. I move the ring each time I drop a Roll to provide bedding in the dry left over hay.

Our winters are wet and muddy. Can be depressing. As I came inside to the dry warm shelter of my abode, it occurred to me that I don't have to do this.

No matter who we are, what we believe, what we do, there is one common denominator for all life - as simple as it sounds, we use up our time and move on.
That's true, you don't have to do anything. What would you rather be doing? I would just be thinking about cows if I was in Cancun, I'll have to go there soon enough on the dreaded honeymoon. Everyone gets cowed out from time to time, take a bit of a sabbatical and you'll miss them.

No heavy rain here but a cold mist in almost freezing temps.

I don't have to work at my little cattle herd like some of y'all do, but there are days when the little work and the time I spend with "them ol' gals" (as PaPa used to call his cows) seem like the only link to sanity that I have.

Latest posts