Heavy heart today

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Tomorrow a fella comes to pick up my mare. She injured her front leg a few months ago and developed arthritis in the joint to the point where she is no longer rideable. I have been on a work schedule that has not allowed me to pay as much attention to her as she deserves. I gave her to a horse sanctuary that takes gentle, kid friendly horses that are not able to be ridden and lets them spend the rest of their days in a pasture with other horses for kids to pet. Mostly hospital kids, cancer patients and so on. It is owned by a church organization. My mare loves kids and attention so she will love it. I said my goodbyes to her tonight. I have enlisted my Dad to come and load her for the fella as I don't want to be here to see her go. I know it is best for her. I still have my wife's horse to ride if I get the urge. I will really miss her :(

hats off to you Hoss,
its hard for some to understand how attached we can become to our livestock. a few chosen people have been given the responsibility to care for them - and it is apparent from your words that you take that responsibility very seriously. giving the mare over to the sanctuary will allow her to be a blessing in many children's lives.

regards,
rob2

Hoss, I feel your pain. It is never easy letting go of one of our trusty companions. I have been in your shoes... sent one of my best roping horses to a facility just like the one you described two years ago. Had a pretty nasty accident roping a big bull and he never fully recovered.

If you ever get the urge to ride and work some cattle, you are always welcome to saddle up at my place anytime.

Brian

I am sorry you have to let her go Hoss, but wow what an amazing place she is going to and an incredible future you are giving her . She will touch and empower many children's lives, that is a beautiful gift .

Don't most of us actually wish for what this mare is getting--------When our working days are over, to still be useful. I'm sure if she could talk, she'd say goodbye and thank you.

Hoss, my wife said something to me yesterday that I think might help you out. I buried a co-worker yesterday and was very brokenhearted. This was a man that I had spent from 8 to 24 hrs a day with for the past seven and a half years. To say I was close to him was an understatement. I was sitting at the supper table last night not saying much, lost in my grief. My wife told me to not dwell on the loss, but be thankful that I got to know him. Kind of changed my outlook.

HOSS":f5sa85fx said:
Tomorrow a fella comes to pick up my mare. She injured her front leg a few months ago and developed arthritis in the joint to the point where she is no longer rideable. I have been on a work schedule that has not allowed me to pay as much attention to her as she deserves. I gave her to a horse sanctuary that takes gentle, kid friendly horses that are not able to be ridden and lets them spend the rest of their days in a pasture with other horses for kids to pet. Mostly hospital kids, cancer patients and so on. It is owned by a church organization. My mare loves kids and attention so she will love it. I said my goodbyes to her tonight. I have enlisted my Dad to come and load her for the fella as I don't want to be here to see her go. I know it is best for her. I still have my wife's horse to ride if I get the urge. I will really miss her :(
Bless you for finding an alternative outcome for her to go comfortably and making children smile. :tiphat:

sorry to hear that hoss i know you miss your mare very much.an it sounds like her new home will give her lots of love an spoil her rotten.

Look at it this way Hoss, if you kept her the only person in the equation being helped is YOU. It's selfish to keep her around just because you want her around. The way you're doing it she wins, people that really need a win win, and once you get over not having her around you'll see that you've won to. ;-) That should be a joyous feeling. :nod:

Thanks for all the nice replies. I heard she made it to her destination in fine shape. I will be keeping tabs on her and they will send me pictures if I want.

Latest posts